Mosti Mondiale Alljuice Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the additional info John. I've been making WE kits for 6 years (and a few CC last year) and WE specifically told me not to try the cooler ferm temps on theirs. I've been wanting to try that for a white so it's nice to know MM Alljuice can be done that way. I'd never heard of doing it on reds. Suits me though--my basement is my winemaking area and it's 58-60 degrees in winter (and now) and goes up about to 68-70 degrees for summer so I've been using a heat belt for winter ferments. I often use Stavin oak cubes but haven't tried the spirals yet.

Edited by: Jackie

That's interesting WE was that specific about the temps with their kits. My gold winning Reisling was their Washington Valley Reisling. I first used this technique on this very kit that I now used on the rest. The whites especially, whereas the reds I tend to go either way. I mainly do reds (italian/malbec), but I have done an MM AJ Chardonnay that actually turned out similar to WE Luna Bianca. Heavy vanilla aroma (almost butterscotch-like), nicely oakedwith tremendous legs. The legs will stay upright between sips and I would recommend this kit using the Reisling technique. Sounds like your basement is very similar to mine. I open the basement vents during the summer so the A/C can keep the temps around 65. If I close them, then I get 67-68. Still ideal for fermenting, but their are subtle differences if you compare the same wine made in the time of Jan thru March. Good Luck with your kits!!

Are the oak spirals all used up in the 2 months? They are a little expensive, esp the French, so I was wondering if you get more than one use? Not that I wouldn't do it anyway to get a better wine.

My basement is unfinished so there's no air vents but unfinished is a good thing considering some of the messes I've accidentally made down there.

Once they are used they are done. The extraction is done by the 6th week but I have gone 8 weeks to get the "2-months." I thought about doing barrels since I go year round, but it was still cheaper to go with the spirals. But, I'm still wavering on that barrel idea again. I should ask George what his personal feeling is about this idea. I hate to ask why your thankful for an unfinished basement?

I've had several mishaps over the years (but fortunately no broken carboys) which involved spilling wine all over the place while siphoning and somehow letting the hose fall on the floor or have it sprayed out of my mini jet when a filter got clogged and I had my back turned or overflowing while I wasn't looking when filtering or siphoning from a 6 gallon two 3-gallons or a 5-gallon (I only have one six-gallon carboy but several 3's and 5's). I finally learned not to leave the filtering unattended or when siphoning for that matter. I've even spilled juice/concentrate while pouring into the primary (now I siphon into the primary). Most any mistake that can be made--I have.

My little dog is always with me so sometimes her white coat ends up purple. She tries to do her part and help me cleanup any spilled juice/wine.
Edited by: Jackie

HeeHee....
smiley36.gif
Now that's one lucky dog! I've had a few spills, but really minor compared to yours. My basement isn't really finished per se', but it does come fairly close. Too afraid with high water table and being lowest point in block. Had internal system put in 3 years ago (now gives me two internal systems from previous homeowners who built 20 years ago), back up sump pump (power went out and back up not strong enough to keep up and had 2 inches water in basement and still going) to now generator back up in case power goes off. I move a lot of water and the small town water people are trying to figure out a way to move to the corner. I pump a lot of water.

jjk1991 said:
You are correct. I put in what comes with the kit and then I snap 2 infusion spirals in half (after dipping in sulphite) and put in for 1 1/2 to 2 months.
First let me extend a big thank you for answering this newbs questions. Second, I'm gonna throw another one at you. You said you include all of the oak included with the MM kit plus two extra spirals at the start of secondary. Are your personal tastes to have more oak flavor than most people or do you feel that the amount of oak included in the kit is inadequate?

I do prefer more oak flavor, but I personally feel the kits are under oaked. My first few kits I could not pick out any oak flavor to speak of so I tried the oak spirals with a couple of kits. Immediately, there was a difference and the oak really smoothed out over the next few months. I would be careful oaking whites, but the reds really need more. This is where I'm in a personal dillemma as to whether or not to move into barrels. Based on what I do, I can pay off a 10-gallon barrel in 1 1/2 to 2 years than if I kept purchasing oak spirals. On the other hand, barrels are high maintenance as well.

I tend to think in general most kits are underoaked myself. I often use what comes with a kit then add Stavin oak cubes during bulk aging. I doubt I'll be adding any to my Meglioli Rojo Intenso though, it had a alot of oak with it. Haven't looked to see how much came with the Meglioli Barolo.

I feel for ya with the water issue. We never get any water in our basement, it's a walkout basement, but the problem is lack of $$$$. We had it framed out and wired but ran out of money when the house was built. Gives me alot of room to store all my wine/beer stuff.

Latest posts

Back