All-In-One Vaccum-pump man

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hatred for screwcap wine bottles is practical in nature -- I can't refill them! ;)

I'm finding screwcaps to be more mainstream in the USA the last couple of years.
When you say "screwcaps", do you mean the bottles of wine that come with a "twist-off" cap, rather than a cork? If so, I have been able to bottle corked wine in those bottles without a problem..........................................................................DizzyIzzy

@DizzyIzzy How long have you been bottling and corking screw top bottles? In time you will have a failure where the bottle will break at the neck. The only failure I've had is when I found a bottle with a chipped neck from those I was recycling. These aren't screw top bottles. You're been fortunate, count your blessings, my good man.

I have been able to bottle corked wine in those bottles without a problem
The neck of a regular wine bottle is reinforced to handle the pressure of corking. The neck of screwcap bottles is thinner and is not designed to handle the pressure and can shatter during corking. I hadn't considered the pressure of pulling the cork, but what @cmason1957 said makes sense.

Another problem is the internal diameter of screwcap bottles is typically larger than corkable bottles and inconsistent in diameter. The likelihood of leaks is higher.

I explain to friends, regarding phones and other computers, that hardware failure is a "when", not an "if", and to protect whatever they value. Screwcap bottles fall into this category, although it includes the potential for injury.

You may get lucky and never shatter a bottle. Or the next one may be the one.

I use my AIO with both cork and screw cap bottles with no problems. The cap necks are definitely bigger than the cork necks, so I wouldn't trust a cork to be big enough in a capped bottle even if I wasn't worried about breakage (my fermenter mentor made that mistake already - bottle broke when he was removing the cork so I was warned before I ever bottled anything).

So for the screw caps, I use these replacement caps: Amazon.com: North Mountain Supply - TNS-BK-12 Twist-N-Seal Closures - Pack of 12 (Black): Industrial & Scientific

So far, I have not had any issues with the screw caps leaking, even when I reuse the caps. However, they are sometimes difficult to open the first time, to break the plastic between the cap and the neck. And for those I have given to others, I try to get both the cap and the bottle back. I have gotten smarter about giving only corked bottles away except for my immediate family whom I have trained to return bottles and caps to me. 😎

So for the screw caps, I use these replacement caps:
Those are pricy compared to corks. You are re-using the caps?

I have gotten smarter about giving only corked bottles away except for my immediate family whom I have trained to return bottles and caps to me.
I do the same -- all friends & family are trained to return bottles. I do bottle some in bottles I care less about, and these go to folks from whom I may not get the bottle back.

Those are pricy compared to corks. You are re-using the caps?

Yes, I reuse them (as long as they don't leak). All of my capped bottles have been free (recycled) with the exception of 2 cases of 375 ml bottles (with caps included) so that helps balance the cost.

I typically do a few capped bottles but mostly corked bottles for each batch these days.

Interesting. I've never noticed that screw tops are thinner. So the consensus is never, or at least use caution corking/uncorking a screw top. I've aquired several cases of screw tops and had just assumed I would cork them. Thanks! The group saved me several broken bottles and maybe an injury. As good screw caps are cheaper than bottles, what do the sages think of what I'll call higher quality caps? Caps with a poly gasket insert. Reuse the original cap with a layer of cellophane? No intention of keeping anything longer than a few years.

Last edited:
@Spencerthebuilder, in addition the risk of injury, I read an article that said the barrier against O2 can degrade even if the bottle doesn't leak liquid. Cellophane may help with liquid leaks, but not sure about O2. For short term use, re-used screwcaps are probably ok. The problem is that the way you find out you are wrong is through oxidized bottles.

I use screwcaps for short term use, such as topup wine, but lay the bottles on their side so I'll know if there is a leak. I screw the caps down tightly and the wine is only there for a few months. @Johnd mentioned that he corks his topup wine -- I'm thinking I should do that as well. I put in too much effort to lose the wine ...

I collect bottles on a constant basis, so I always have enough. The only new bottles I purchased were for my son's upcoming wedding reception.

@DizzyIzzy How long have you been bottling and corking screw top bottles? In time you will have a failure where the bottle will break at the neck. The only failure I've had is when I found a bottle with a chipped neck from those I was recycling. These aren't screw top bottles. You're been fortunate, count your blessings, my good man.
I have been bottling and corking screw top bottles for 2 years now, but only a very few of them when I run out of regular wine bottles. I appreciate the comments from both you and winemaker 81. Looks like I will buy the North Mountain screw cap replacements for the few screw cap bottles that I use just to be on the safe side! Thanks everyone...................................................DizzyIzzy

I use my AIO with both cork and screw cap bottles with no problems. The cap necks are definitely bigger than the cork necks, so I wouldn't trust a cork to be big enough in a capped bottle even if I wasn't worried about breakage (my fermenter mentor made that mistake already - bottle broke when he was removing the cork so I was warned before I ever bottled anything).

So for the screw caps, I use these replacement caps: Amazon.com: North Mountain Supply - TNS-BK-12 Twist-N-Seal Closures - Pack of 12 (Black): Industrial & Scientific

So far, I have not had any issues with the screw caps leaking, even when I reuse the caps. However, they are sometimes difficult to open the first time, to break the plastic between the cap and the neck. And for those I have given to others, I try to get both the cap and the bottle back. I have gotten smarter about giving only corked bottles away except for my immediate family whom I have trained to return bottles and caps to me. 😎
Thanks for the info......................I will order those replacement caps today............................................DizzyIzzy

The neck of a regular wine bottle is reinforced to handle the pressure of corking. The neck of screwcap bottles is thinner and is not designed to handle the pressure and can shatter during corking. I hadn't considered the pressure of pulling the cork, but what @cmason1957 said makes sense.

Another problem is the internal diameter of screwcap bottles is typically larger than corkable bottles and inconsistent in diameter. The likelihood of leaks is higher.

I explain to friends, regarding phones and other computers, that hardware failure is a "when", not an "if", and to protect whatever they value. Screwcap bottles fall into this category, although it includes the potential for injury.

You may get lucky and never shatter a bottle. Or the next one may be the one.
Many thanks for taking the time to address my comment. Guess I have been lucky!...........................................................DizzyIzzy

I reuse the screw tops that came on the wine bottles. They have been soaking in an alcohol solution so I’m am not overly concerned with contamination. I clean them in oxiclean and sanitize them before re-using. I use shrink top to give each bottle a consistent appearance.
I have a good source of bottles. My township has a monthly bottle recycling day and collects a truck load of glass each month. My brother works the collection for the township and pulls out bottles that I like for me. I also stop by the end of the day and see if there are at additional bottles I want. He also collects maple syrup bottles for my other hobby.

For the past couple of years (at least), I've been re-using those bottles with the screw-in corks. Several wine brands are bottled in them now, Trader Joe's organic wine line, for instance. They're easy to sterilize, just like screw caps, seal well and look elegant and "professional". I have yet to have any spoilage from using them. Every time I go to TJ's or Grocery Outlet I pick up a couple or three bottles of wines that use them to enjoy for table wine. Gradually I'm replacing the screw-top bottle inventory with that type. At the same time, I'm replacing the remaining already-reused-several-times screw caps with new purchased ones.

Google "Helix cork". Looks more like a tasting cork rather than a permanent closure.

Thanks, you've saved me from uploading the photo I just took.

There are several wine producers and wineries that are using the helix cork. Trader Joe's Organic wine line uses them. I've also been able to find several other wine brands that use them. I've been using them successfully for a couple of years, no leaks and no spoilage. They're easy to insert, if I pull them out of the sterilizing solution and insert immediately while they're still wet. They pull out (unscrew) with little difficulty without a corkscrew.

The "threads", such as they are, are on the inside of the bottle neck.

I think they're just great.

Last edited:
Back