Airlock or Blowoff Cane?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshjacobsen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm outfitting my 290L stainless steel Speidel tank with an airlock and wondered if a blowoff cane (ie this one: https://morewinemaking.com/products/38-stainless-steel-blowoff-cane.html) would be better as I'm worried that the former won't be able to handle the fermentation volume of a 55 gallon frozen must drum the way it did w/ smaller 5 gallon batches.

Having never used a blowoff cane, I'd appreciate any perspective on the pros/cons or reassurance around using the airlock I'm accustomed to.

Thanks!

Are you thinking of conducting the primary fermentation in that tank with the lid on? If so, you really need to have the lid high enough or enough head space to ensure that there is no possible way skins can reach the vent opening. The blow-off tube is probably the way to go, but If the vent becomes plugged, the lid will be pushed up, or you might end up with a deformed tank.

Hi @stickman - yes I was planning on conducting primary fermentation in the tank w/ the lid on (secured at the top/highest point of the tank). I suppose I could leave the lid off but I assume I'd want to cover the top w/ some sort of mesh bag to ensure no bugs/dust get in? Which approach do you think is better?

Nothing wrong with using the lid, but I would say if you are going to do traditional punch downs, the lid may be more trouble than what it's worth, you'll have to remove and re-install multiple times each day. People have different preferences, some use a cloth sheet over the top, I typically use a piece of 4mil plastic with some string around the perimeter to hold it in place. There are some wineries that will do enclosed fermentation, but they have a way to pump the juice from the bottom over the top, sometimes with a little aeration for the more tannic reds like Cab and Syrah. Pinot Noir is a bit more sensitive and doesn't need as much aeration during the ferment.

Back