Air Gap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
I transferred my wine from a 6 gallon carboy to a 5 gallon. I put the extra in a one gallon growler however there is a lot of air space. Is it ok to let it age like that? See picture.ImageUploadedByWine Making1445873181.034516.jpg

Without a doubt, this is not good for any kind of long term storage. Like flafemina posted, transfer to smaller bottles. Keep the amount of air to a minimum...

Looks like you still have some CO2 being produced, so you could be good for a few days, but I'd hesitate to go longer than that. Get some #2 stoppers. They fit into the openings of wine bottles. A couple of those and some airlocks and that half gallon will be just fine.

Actually, the stopper you have may be fine to use in a wine bottle. It looks like a universal bung. Try turning it upside down and see if it seals a bottle.

Definitely rack to a smaller jug. I use half gallon jugs that look the same as the 1 gal. Takes the same bung also. Like sour grapes said you can use that bung on a wine bottle as well by just flipping it over.

Latest posts

Back