WineXpert Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
I'm confused regarding the amount of time before my wine is properly aged. I made an Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot. I've read that if you intend to age it longer than 6 months you should add k-meta. I decided not to as I also read that gives some people headaches. So, does this mean the wine is ready to drink after 6 months? I've read that with reds you should wait 1-2 years. What would be the maximum amount of time I can age this?

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I'm curious about this too. I'm currently fermenting my first batch of Pinot Noir.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Couple of things. The notion that sulfites gives people headaches is largely untrue.

Of course, you can drink your wine after 6 mos. However, it will not be as good as it will be after a year or 18 mos.

What is the maximum time? Well, that depends on your sulfite levels, the quality of your cork, your cellaring conditions, any added tannins, etc. I don't think there is any reason to believe you cannot age your Eclipse kit 7 or 8 years. Some people here have reported their wines have started to go downhill after 4 or 5 years.

I contacted Winexpert a few months back about this very topic. Their response was, under optimal cellar conditions...3-4 years max. I plan on taking at least one of my bottles of Stag's Leap to 5 years, just to taste if it's gone downhill. This is assuming I have the willpower and don't consume it earlier.

If you took care of the bottle, a good cork, and had proper sulfite levels, I could see the wine lasting 3-4 years at least. I think there was a story posted (either on this forum or another) within the last year of someone finding a nearly 10 year old bottle of a LE Italian Verdicchio that was still very drinkable after all that time. I still have some bottles that are close to 2.5 years old (both reds). Both are probably at their peak now.

Just for the record I have never had a bottle taste good at 2 years.
this had nothing to do with cellar conditions, sulfate levels, corks or any of that.
It is due to will power!
I have been unable to keep bottles around to reach the 2 year mark!

Best of luck!

I have Stag's Leap Merlot in bottles that is 223 days old and 733 days old. The older Merlot is a completely different wine than the younger. Coincidentally I bottled both of them on day 141. It was around day 500 that the wine became amazing.

I was smart the second time I made it, I made three kits instead of one. Now I should have enough to make it to two years. :)

Latest posts

Back