Advice please for this vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyfmx

Reaction score
I bought this vine in may and plated it here in the 1200 ft low desert of az. It was so bare and sickly looking but once I got it in the ground and fed it some good organic fertilizer it has really greened up nicely. I have this new shoot thats grown like a rocket in the last month or so, not sure what to do with it, I just noticed a sucker in the ground and need to pull it, I also am not 100 percent on the varietal, was told it was cab or zin, Im thinking just cut it all back to a stick and maybe graft the neighboring chardonnay onto it, take a look

[ame]http://youtu.be/IA_cpue4GY8[/ame]

Thanks for any suggestions!

i hesitate always to go by pictures, but if that bud is emanating from below the graft, prune it off asap because it is giving you the species that is of the rootstock and not what you are intending to have......

if this is from the point above the graft then it would be the same variety as your top growth (caveat - it appeared different in the photo!) then you could use this as a second trunk if you felt your first trunk was too spindly and in a cold weather area ( which you are not) a second trunk is a useful thing

recommendation, cut now and monitor that you get no more of these because often it will take over

Latest posts

Back