Accidental Wild Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
Hello Group,

Yesterday I picked up some really nice Washington Chard juice that came to the store in bulk. I am assuming that the vineyard did not sulfate the juice since when I picked it up, wild fermentation had already started. The specific gravity was 1.083 when I got it home, so it appears to have had only just begun.

I immediately pitched the yeast, Lalvin D-47, which Lalvin states as being aggressive in taking over wild yeasts, and will balance the acid after fermentation is complete. PH is currently 3.5.

My question is, should I sulfite the wine after fermentation is complete just to be safe or is this nothing to worry about? I've never dealt with wild fermentation.

I do plan on performing MLF and putting this wine into a new barrel. If I do not sulfite, should I be concerned about possible contaminating the barrel?

BTW, sometimes cultured yeast are deliberately introduced to juice pails. Perhaps you may want to consult with your supplier to see if that is the case.

If you are going to perform MLF, you wouldn't want to add sulfites until after MLF is completed. After that is over, yes, of course you should add sulfites, as you would want to do for any wine (to keep it from oxidation and microbial spoilage).

Personally, I would not be overly concerned about any wild yeasts. Our cultured yeasts were all "wild" at some point! Our cultured yeasts should out-compete them anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back