Other A Red Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuster1

Reaction score
It seems like blends are becoming more popular. I recently did a white trio blend that turned out great. Can anyone recommend a red blend Thanks.

It seems like blends are becoming more popular. I recently did a white trio blend that turned out great. Can anyone recommend a red blend Thanks.

Not sure where you are located. But where I'm at, Wine Kitz is the biggest store around. There are some great blends they produce.

The 17L "Ultimate Estate Reserve- Vieux Chateau Du Rio" is very nice, as well as the newly released 18L "Sommelier Reserve- Mystic Red w/grape skins" It is a blend of Zinfandel, Shiraz, Merlot and Cab Sauv intended to be in the style of Apothic Red.

Many others have also mentioned the RJS Super Tuscan as probably the most popular kit on these boards. I have yet to try it but its on my list of wines to make.

I blend my own. Some of the very popular ones are a 50/50 of Cab. Sauvignon and Syrah. That makes a Shiraz Cabernet.

Merlot 80% with Cab Sauv. is great as to its reverse.

Mix up a Merlot, Cab. Sauv. and Cab. franc is excellent.

Reusing with either Chenin Blanc or Chardonnay works.

There are many possibilities. Typical blends are either 50-50, 80-20, 75-25 or 50-25-25

Mixing a combination of your big reds are popular. Merlot, Cab. Sauv., Cab. Franc, Syrah and one other that eludes me now.

I did a Syrah and Merlot blend. Both half and half and a 25-75 each way. So many great possibilities.

This is only one of many reasons I don't make kits but start from juice. You can create anything to your liking.

Oh and the hugely popular blend…Cranberry Lime Skeeter Pee. Lets not forget that one.

Did a Sangiovese-Carmenere mix,, 50/50,,, I liked it!! Whilst not a red blend, my "Rosy German"-- (by volume) 2.5 part Riesling, 2.0 part Gewurz, 1.0 part Sangiovese well chilled and backsweetened to taste is going fast.. Just xperimented with 5 TBSP Torani brand Pomegranate syrup per bottle of Vermentino. Good cooler!
My taste and nose is not sharply discriminant so the initial shot and residual mouth are my bars. Have fun and blend away !!

Thanks BMac. I may have a difficult time finding that wine kit in the midwest. To be more specific Saint Louis Mussouri I'll keep searching. Ds

How bout the cellar craft BC Oknagan Meritage -its a blend of cab sauvignon, cab franc and merlot mine has now been bulk aging for 15 min :) I chose it after seeing lots of positive hoopla on the site and it listed in Winemaker mag for the recent top 100 wine kits competition. Plus it has elderberries -neat!

I'm just starting into blends: I've done a CC Cab/Shiraz which is coming along nicely; as well as a Cheeky Monkey Cab/Merlot/Garnacha which is flying off my wine racks :)

I also did a concord/blueberry blend from scratch. Very nice indeed.

I've done ready mixed kits from spagnols -a cab/shiraz/merlot ,Chilean cab/merlot, I also did the Chilean Trek which I think was a mixture of everything, Spanish Tempranillo which is a cab/fruit blend I believe,Hang ten,super tuscan... and then all my fruit wines I've done since joining this forum but I can't comment on how they were because none have hit the magic number yet lol
I think blends ,even if just subtle ,give the wine more character.

I would give an enthusiastic endorsement of the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot. It is magnificent!

Kendridge Limited Release California Grand Red. They released one in 2013 and at 6 months of age, mine is already excellent. They are releasing again this year - I think it comes out in January.

I really like Cab blends. I like it blended with Sangiovese or Shiraz or Merlot. Out of the kits that you can get everyday, I like CC Rosso Fortissimo and RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan. All of the Shiraz/Cab and Cab/Merlot blends I made have been limited editions. I hear nothing but good reviews on the CC Walla Walla Cab/Merlot blend listed above and it will probably be the next kit I buy. I do have the Kenridge Grand Red II on order and it will arrive in March and am looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back