"A Port Wine"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
My freezer is full! I have been collecting a few pound of "figs" this year andmy newest interest is making a "Port Wine" using other fruits like raisins etc. I have never made a "Port Wine" and I thought that I would post this to learn..your comments are greatly appreciated!

Joe, start with alot of fruit! ALOT. Up to 10 pounds figs per gallon of finished wine desired. Start the SG up around 1.100 with EC-1118 yeast. When you rack to secondary vessel, use one that you can leave alot of space in so you can feed a cup or 2 of sugar syrup each time the SG falls to 1.010. You might start off with only 5 or 5.5 gallons of must, then rack to a 6 gallon carboy to have lots of space, maybe even put a quart or so in the fridge for reserve and add at the end after the yeast dies off from too much alcohol, 18-21%. Does this all make sense, and does it help or did you know this much? lol Keep us informed! Edited by: Country Wine

Thanks Country, I'm going to start this during the first week of Jan.' 05. I never did make a "Port Wine" but the challenge is on. It all makes alot of sense. I'll follow your advice and keep everyone informed on the progess. Much appreciated!

Good luck Joe! What sounds even better is to find a used small barrel with a little extraction left in it to age the port in, or use Sta-Vin oak beans.

Ports are new to me. What other fruits would make a acceptable port.

Archer

Latest posts

Back