A fruity Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFC

Reaction score
Hello All- I have ben making wine for a couple of years now that tastes good. I want to start making wine that tastes great, consistantly. My goal is to make a reasonable alcohol(15 or less) fruity Zin. I'm trying to figure out the best Yeast for this type of Zin and also what to do with grapes that come in at 25 or 26 brix each season (add water and acid blend?). Thanks in advance for your help.

Lastly a side note: skeeter pee sounds interesting should I run away now before I'm hooked?

skeeter pee sounds interesting should I run away now before I'm hooked?

As fast as you can.

I like Lalvins 71B-1122 It's a slower fermentation than the others and great for fruit. I would keep your starting gravity around 10%. This way you won't taste so much alcohol and you'll taste more fruit flavor. Backsweeten with like or similar fruit concentrate.

Still run though. I have several batches (Fif. flavors) coming into bottling soon and 6 gallons finishing fermenting.

Thank you both! Can I assume that once I reduce the brix with acid and water, H2S problems that have occured in the past will be reduced? I have not diluted the wine with water before and perhaps this is where my problem arose?

Possibly but surely not possitive. What do you use as far as nutrients and how much?

I agree with DJ on the 71B 1122. I also have lowered temp when using to 68 degrees . I tryed lower but at 66 fermentation seem to stop. I have been able to keep fuity taste in Chardonnay this way as well.

I have been using 71b-1122 in the past so I might not have to change anything there. I have been using fermax 1 tablespoon day one, three and five of fermentation. Do I need more?

I agree with DJ on the 71B 1122. I also have lowered temp when using to 68 degrees . I tryed lower but at 66 fermentation seem to stop. I have been able to keep fuity taste in Chardonnay this way as well.

I have never been able to get a good handle on the temp. The fermentation usually only lasts 5 days or less with my zin and it gets raging hot(89 this season) by day 2. It creeps down to about 70 by the last day (sg reading of 1.0). Because I work far from home I don't have the ability to much during the day to cool it down.

Latest posts

Back