7.9 or 10 gal primary to avoid blow off?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I have a 7.33 gal primary where I just had my second "blow off", although just a minor one. The kit is the WE LE 2013 Cabernet Merlot. It does not have skins. I'm guessing if it had skins, it would have been much worse.

My LHBS carries 7.9 and 10 gallon ones. Will an extra 1/2 gallon of head space be enough to avoid future blow off, or do I need to go to 10 gallons?

Another alternative is to drill the hole larger and attach a blow off tube. I am not too thrilled with that idea. I stir twice a day to help vent the CO2. Putting on and taking off the airtight lid is a pain (right now, I just let it sit loosely). Without skins, I could just swirl the pail. But, if I had skins, I would have to open the pail to push down the skins.

Anyone with experience with the 10 gallon fermenting pail? Is it a pain to clean (reach into the bottom), etc.

Last edited:
No experience, but I notice that a 10-gallon Brute and lid is $26, whereas the NB 10-gallon fermenter with lid is $43.

FWIW, I have the LD Carlson 7.9 gallon from NB, and have never had a blowoff. I did feel worried once, while using a foamy yeast, and I have had foam contact the lid a few times.

Richmke
I had the same problem and I used a 12 gallon (only because that was the only size available) as of yet I have never had it go to the 10gallon mark. I think 10 would be perfect.

Kevin

Brew and Grow in Waukesha has the 10 gal for $34 w/ lid.
7.9 gal w/ lid is about $23 at NB

When it touched the lid, did you have the lid on tight, or just sitting on the pail?

I've never had any issues with kits in my 7.9g fermenter - most with grape packs. If you think you might try juice buckets and/or grapes, definitely go with the 10. 10 should easily handle 6 gallons of juice, plus 18lbs of grapes if you wanted to add them.

I too have the 7.9, and just took a WE Merlot with skins to secondary last night. 5 day ferment to 1.004.

Top on loose, no airlock in gasket, all stayed in bucket. but I did have some grape color on the lid. Punching down a half dozen times per day.

I also have the 60 L Speidel, but I haven't used that one yet. But I have plans...

Best, Fran

If you think you might try juice buckets and/or grapes, definitely go with the 10. 10 should easily handle 6 gallons of juice, plus 18lbs of grapes if you wanted to add them.

Good reason to choose the 10 gal. I'll check it out, and if it is not too big, buy it.

I figured out a solution, courtesy of the 180 day extended kit instructions:

Reserve 1 to 2 gallons of must before pitching the yeast. Add it back when fermentation has slowed.

I didn't figure it out until after pitching the yeast. My current solution is to use the smaller pail I have for Port kits. I mixed the kit per instructions, and with the grape pack, my normal pail is within 2 inches of the top. My plan is after 24 hours, when fermentation has started, transfer 2 gallons to the second pail. After the initial surge (around day 4) pour it back into the main pail.

I think removing must before pitching wine is much easier than timing the division.

Latest posts

Back