Too Full Primary...............

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Just a quick post as I forgot to add a ingredient to my batch of Peach this morning and when I added it I'm not uncomfortable with the level in the bucket. I work on boats and had these hose adapters in stock so I used one for rigging a blow-off hose. Fits really well, so if I can't keep the primary fermentation to a low foam I have a backup plan. Thought some would like to know a part that seals extremely well on both ends.
Bucket Hole to Hose Adapter.jpg
Too Full Primary.jpg
Rigged Blow Off Hose.jpg

Do you have another bucket?
Great year for my pears. I did 6 3-gallon batches, 40+ lbs pears per batch, each one a little different. (Seriously, who wants 90 bottles of the very same wine?) I froze, crushed, pressed and then fermented with the pulp. Once fermentation took off and the pectic enzyme did it's thing I was consistently having caps 7-8 inches thick.

Just in case you may want to have another bucket handy to split that into 2 batches if need be.

Good luck!!

I don't right on hand but can run and pick one up. Tunnel vision kept me from thinking of that. I do have 1 gallon fermenters but I don't think I could divide the big bucket evenly. thank you for the idea.

I dug around and found a 2 Gallon bucket. I'm going to wait till I pitch the yeast tomorrow then move some to the other bucket till racking time.

I ended up reserving 2/3rds of a gallon of liquid to add back after the first racking. With the blow-off rigged and the bucket sealed well I'm going to roll the dice. Also using 71B yeast not EC1118. I made a very healthy single pack starter this morning for a 5 gallon batch. I expect to keep my fermentation temps at 69-70 degrees once going to slow the extraction for further flavor and color development. And also to avoid a mess. Lol.

You don’t really need the blow off system until the SG gets to 1.020, or approximately. Oxygen helps feed the yeasts for the first day or so.

I had that issue with the Tripletail Wine (Blueberry-Plum-Meyer Lemon) with H2S and when I oxygenated the must to kill the H2S it really excited the 71B yeast. This was 4-5 days in. Well it exploded with foam production (where I learned to rig the blow-off to start with) so I have longer hoses and numerous 3 gallon carboys if I do have a problem. I'm going to ride this horse and will post the good or the bad for others. I will say sitting here drinking some Tripletail right now it is the best homemade country wine I ever tasted. Sad to say I most likely will not be able to repeat the happy accident that made it. We ration the bottles, 1 every 6 weeks till gone. Tastes like a Blueberry Prisoner.

Just a quick post as I forgot to add a ingredient to my batch of Peach this morning and when I added it I'm not uncomfortable with the level in the bucket. I work on boats and had these hose adapters in stock so I used one for rigging a blow-off hose. Fits really well, so if I can't keep the primary fermentation to a low foam I have a backup plan. Thought some would like to know a part that seals extremely well on both ends.
View attachment 95225
View attachment 95226
View attachment 95227
on my fittings like that i use stainless steel hose clamps, I'm not sure that fitting is food grade- but does work in a pinch, i keep a large supply of all different stainless steel hose barbs, also Teflon tape will help the seal. as for foaming i only keep EC1119 and KV1116, to keep with a very low foam,
Dawg

I will be ordering stainless along with other rigging hardware. I'm sure the fuel fitting was not tested for "Food Grade" composition.

Latest posts

Back