WineXpert 45-day kit made in 28 days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John1

Junior
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question. I have a 45-day Shiraz kit that I want to start, but I have to go on a trip in about a month and I was wondering if I could make it using the instructions for a 28-day kit. It may not be ideal, but do you think the results would be disastrous??? Would appreciate any help or comment. Thanks.

Not sure what kit you have John but I have never had one with dual instructions. Nontheless, I would think that in 30 days you would have it through secondary fermentation so you could stabilize and just let it bulk age until you get back

John,

It would depend on what steps are to be accomplished on or after yourtime ofdeparture. If primary fermentation is complete and you have transferred to the carboy and have fined by then, you should be fine to leave the wine in the carboy for a few days longerbefore bottling.

Don't be in a rush to get a kit done...You may not be very happy with the results...Waldo's idea sounds like a better plan...Time is on your side.

I concur....your wine should certainly be completed fermentation and stabilized in 30 days so make sure it is topped up well and the airlock has plenty of water and take your trip.

The main reason for the extra days is to allow the wine to clear. The selection kits (45 days) have more juice and therefore more solids. As a result, they need more time for the solids to fall out of the wine and you do want to bottle a cloudy wine, as it will not clear in the bottle. Except for the first racking, all other steps can be postponed as long as you have them under an airlock. I rarely bottle my wines before 3 months. It helps them clear, de-gas and, most importantly, not get consumed too early.
smiley9.gif

Thanks Geocorn. The business about the extra solids wasone of the many thingsI didn't know, so it makes a lot of sense that you would run into problems trying to force a 28-day time frame. Cheers!

You are most welcome. The only way we all learn is to ask questions. I am glad I was able to help.

Not true George. We also are prefectly capable of learning by not asking
questions and then royally screwing it up. It's just less painful to learn by
asking questions.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: peterCooper

Back