24 hrs after pectic enzyme and it looks like mold has started on the top of the must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stfinger

Junior
Reaction score
I am trying to make watermelon wine. I used 6 campden tabs in 6 gals of must, and waited 14 hrs to add the pectic enzyme and waited 24 hrs to add the yeast, I saw what at first looked like foam, but at closer examination I see that it is a snow white mold. Is this must lost before it even gets started, or can I lift the top off and add the yeast? Is this a normal reaction to the pectic enzyme? I have not added yeast yet.

Is mold on pulp normal?

I lifted the floating pulp from the must and added the yeast. Fermentation is vigorous. If that was mold, will fermentation kill what may be left?

Last edited:
Jack Keller has articles and blog entries on exactly this topic. Mold and watermelon apparently go hand-in-hand. I have stayed away from the melons because of the Keller info, but I am very interested in what the forum experts have to say on preventing the mold as well as the opinions on the possibility of a positive outcome once the melon mold starts. Interesting to say the least.

Watermelon spoils very quickly. Getting the fermentation to proceed fast is best as the alcohol will protect it.

But, as you have observed, mold started. That doesn't mean the must is bad. But make sure you use your nose and tongue detectors often for any trace of off odors/tastes.

Think rotten watermelon - I've had some wines that tasted like that.

Latest posts

Back