2 questions about bottling time and bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Have a Reisling I started from juice in September. It is in a carboy aging a bit. I added KMeta and let it age. Right now there is a bunch of Tartaric Crystals on the bottom which is no biggie.
Question 1) I added More KMeta 1-17-20. Decided I want to bottle. Should I just wait the three months from 1-17 to bottle? If I want to bottle now would I have to measure sulfites or what. Wouldn’t want to add more would I?

Question 2. I have a few Clear film like floaties on top of the wine in the carboy. It was topped up correctly. Wondering what they might be. Ideas?

Thanks for any help

Have a Reisling I started from juice in September. It is in a carboy aging a bit. I added KMeta and let it age. Right now there is a bunch of Tartaric Crystals on the bottom which is no biggie.
Question 1) I added More KMeta 1-17-20. Decided I want to bottle. Should I just wait the three months from 1-17 to bottle? If I want to bottle now would I have to measure sulfites or what. Wouldn’t want to add more would I?

Question 2. I have a few Clear film like floaties on top of the wine in the carboy. It was topped up correctly. Wondering what they might be. Ideas?

Thanks for any help

What is the pH and how many ppm of SO2 did you add in Jan? No need to wait the 3 months to bottle.

Do you have a picture of the clear film like floaties you could share?

No idea on the pH. The juice is usually balanced when purchased. I add 1/4 tsp per the 6 gallons. I will get a pic in the AM. Thanks.

Images of what is going on. Hoping it is just tartrates floating as I have a lot at the bottom of the carboy. Doesnt seem to be growing on the top. Had a flashlight in the last image of the crystals on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_7979.JPG
    IMG_7979.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7983.JPG
    IMG_7983.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
I would agree on the floating tartrates. When you think it has completed shedding tartrates, I would rack and let it sit another week or two in a low temp environment to make sure it is done. There is nothing worse than having solids that get poured into the glass.

Back