150lbs Crushed Sangiovese - What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate0001

Reaction score
This weekend I went with my Aunt to a vinyard her coworker is part owner in to help pick and everything. We ended up getting about 150lbs of crushed Sangiovese (well actually a blend with 75% Sangiovese). It had been SO2 treated.

From what I can tell, wine making from fresh grapes is a lot more involved than kit or countrywine is. Definitely a lot more than what I'm used to doing.

Now my question is... What would be the best thing to do with this? What extra equipment, chemicals, process, etc will I need to do? Is it just fill up a fermentation bucket with the grapes and juice, put in the chemicals, pitch the yeast and continual rack and aging once fermentation is done? I have no idea.

Also, how long can we keep the grapes around as is until we figure out what to do?

Last edited:
1) maceration - It would be best to have the crushed must ferment with the skins (to pick up a nice, bold color and flavor).

2) press - after a week, press the juice off of the skins.

The rest is pretty much the same. It would be wise to begin fermentation after 24 hours of you getting them.

So basically:

Make sure PH and SG levels are fine. Fill up fermentation bucket with the juice and grapes. Put in chemicals and pitch yeast. Press everything after fermentation is complete. Don't need to add any water to it?

The rest is just sweeten to taste, age, etc like the rest?

Last edited:
You could possible need to add some acidulated water if the SG is too high and you don't want a 14-15% ABV wine. You need some type of punch down tool as well to punch the cap down several times a day.

Hey Nate,

If I were you I would find some close by home winemaker, who is experienced with fresh grapes, and get him/her to help you out. You could agree to split the wine if that person came along side. Problem is, the clock is ticking away and you didn't have an opportunity to get boned up on fresh grape wine making, so doing it by yourself is going to be a chore.

Hey Nate,

If I were you I would find some close by home winemaker, who is experienced with fresh grapes, and get him/her to help you out. You could agree to split the wine if that person came along side. Problem is, the clock is ticking away and you didn't have an opportunity to get boned up on fresh grape wine making, so doing it by yourself is going to be a chore.

Has nate ever made wine from bucket juice? if so, then making from grapes is not much harder.

Has nate ever made wine from bucket juice? if so, then making from grapes is not much harder.

I agree. My point is having the chemicals on-hand and knowing how to use them. When I buy fresh grapes, I spend weeks ahead of time getting ready, ordering chemicals, and such. He just doesn't have that luxury this late.

If he has all the chemicals or can get them easily; and knows how to use them, no reason why he can't go for it.

Sorry for lack of update. Someone else that came with us that knows what they doing came out and picked it up to do alongside their grapes they got.

Oh well, too bad.

In response to the question, Austin is home to the Austin Homebrew Supply which is one of the best homebrew stores in the US and is about 10 minute drive from me. So would have had access to everything extra too. They rent out the heavier equipment as well.

Latest posts

Back