1 gallon batch in 2 gallon fermenter issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jswo23

Reaction score
So i started a batch of Cab in a 2 gallon food grade bucket with a hole i drilled my self in the lid for the airlock, i haven't really noticed any difference in the airlock activity, and it doesn't seem to have an fermenting action like my other batch (which is constantly overflowing in a 1 gallon carboy covered in previous thread) is there something wrong or is this normal. i started this batch the 6th of august.

Last edited:
Would worry about it but then I would also do away with the airlock during primary fermentation.

Cover with a muslin cloth, tea towel, tie it down and let it breath until you are ready for secondary fermentation. (You can rinse the cloth in a sanitizing solution and wring it out before you put it on the first time or even dry it before applying.) The yeast needs some oxygen and by the way, those snap on lids don't always seal as well as you think.

If you are going to use a hard lid put some distilled water in the groove of the seal each time before you reseal - During an active fermentation you'll see the gassing off right away. I had 5 gallon fermenters never show any gassing off during primary until I "wet down the seal." (BUT I've seen the light and do not use hard lids and airlocks during primary any more.)

Last edited:
when putting the lid on i used a hammer, then put all the weight of 185 pound man to get it to close, i dont know what else to do, should i just take off the lid? and cover with cloth i assumed you needed it air tight to properly ferment. to take the lid off i need to pull the tab(like on a milk jug) idk if would be able to reseal it after this has be ripped

when putting the lid on i used a hammer, then put all the weight of 185 pound man to get it to close, i dont know what else to do, should i just take off the lid? and cover with cloth i assumed you needed it air tight to properly ferment. to take the lid off i need to pull the tab(like on a milk jug) idk if would be able to reseal it after this has be ripped

Yeah those are the way the lids are made for food and products to be sealed at the manufacturing plant - a safe and secure one time seal.

You don't want that - As said by others many times - initially oxygen is your friend in wine making and your yeast needs it.. After the fermentation slows (Secondary stage below 1.020 approximately) you can rack to a carboy, seal and airlock it then.

There's another relatively new post about an airlock overflow caused by 1) Using a Carboy for primary fermentation - not the best choice, and a very active foamy fermentation - some foam lots, some don't foam much at all this one apparently had bountiful foam.

Yes, rip that tab off and replace that lid with a cloth cover. The CO2 coming off and the rapidly building alcohol levels along with the cloth will protect your wine-to-be.

Thanks scooter, i have two batches in the primary stage, so that other thread is me LOL!! i wish i had you on speed dial (or at least email) for all my wine making needs! Im am very very new at this, i really dont want to lose the batch in the 2 gallon bucket, im nervous to do anything plus i have cats whom are very nosy so open fermenting scares me im sure i have a few location in my house i can keep them out of it. Any suggestion from here on out will greatly be appreciated for both of my issues

The wine (often referred to as must) has to become completely saturated with CO2 before it really starts to expel a lot of it, so a larger container will take a little longer. You'll also notice a dramatic drop in activity when you rack to secondary container... unless it's bone dry the yeast are still churning away, it's just that the solution has to once again become saturated (after have a lot of the gas dispelled from splashing). When I first started I kept wondering what I was doing that stopped the fermentation so quickly, until I understood what was really going on.

A yeast colony will always grow according to the container they're in, so you can't have too much yeast.

Are you seeing any activity yet? You certainly should after 4 days. Keep i mind every batch can act differently, with some seeming to boil with activity and others to have the lightest bit of fizz popping at the surface (like a glass of soda). Keep track of the SG and you'll be fine. If you don't have a hydrometer you definitely need to get one.

I definitely recommend keeping the must covered to keep yeast, mold, fungus, bugs, and cat hair out of it. You don't need a seal, but it should be protected from stuff floating around and critters that want to eat it (and curious cats :h ).

Ah Yes the curious cats. I spent a whole $5.00- $6.00 at Hobby Lobby for a yard of Unbleached Muslin (Not permenant press) The most basic I could find. That 36"x36" piece can be cut to give you 2 - 18"x18" pieces for bucket covers 4 - 9"x9" cloth filters and 16 - 4 1/2"x 4 1/2" bottle covers (Nice for keeping floating cat hairs etc out of sanitized carboys or bottles ready for bottling.) OR you can change the cuts to your needs OR buy 2 yards and cut as you need.

I use yarn to tie covers on but with cats.... perhaps a large rubber band?

And one crazy off the cuff Idea - take that lid if you don't think you'll need it (Or buy a second lid - Food grade material of course) and drill as many 1/2" - 3/4" holes in it as you can - make it like a sieve. Take that tab strip off and then drape the cloth over that and tie it down - the lid, even full of holes, will keep the cats from jumping on it and falling in (Nightmare thought) and your must still gets oxygen.

Remember to check and stir moderately once a day at least during the primary stage.

As noontime mentioned the racking to secondary will not only get rid of a lot of lees including dead yeast, it will also revitalized the fermentation for a few hours so you can expect to see some foam re-appear once it's racked into the new carboy from the bucket/old carboy so initially leave some extra space - I normally have to add some distilled water to my must so I leave it just at the point where the bottle neck starts. then in a few hours you can top it off to about 1" - 1 1/2" From the top. If you are using plastic caps with holes for the airlock don't over-tighten - they can split. If you use drilled stoppers make sure they are not pure rubber - those in the presence of the alcohol will off-gas a horrible odor you don't want near your wine must.

One more hint - If you need or want more carboys visit the local recycling center a couple of time a week. I collect all my wine bottles there now and I've had great luck collecting gallon and more often 4 liter carboys from the cheapo wines and sangri consumed by or local consumers. I prefer the 4 liter carboys, more of them show up there, and I just bump my batches up another 7 oz (250 ml) to adjust for the large container. (So when I bottle eventually , if I don't spill too much, I'm left with a couple of modest glasses of the wine as reward for a completed batch.) :db

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back