0.998 or better

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranman

Junior
Reaction score
My kit instructions say that fermentation not complete until the SG is 0.998. Do not proceed with stabilizing and clearing until that SG measurement is hit.

I started this batch with a day of leeway for fermentation before leaving town for the holidays. This batch has fermented slower than my last batch and one day may not be enough. I'm only at 1.018 with 5 days left before leaving town.

What happens if I let the wine sit for an additional 2 weeks without moving on to the stabilizing and clearing step. I assume that once the wine is done fermenting, it will just sit. I can't imagine that the alcohol level will increase that much more.

Is there any risk of spoilage?

The problem is, it will sit on the gross lees longer than is desirable. You would be at risk for H2S and other similar problems. Generally 2-3 days is what you want to let the gross lees settle. What I would do is to rack off the gross lees and into a (full) carboy just before you go even if not quite done. There will still be enough yeast in the wine to complete fermentation. When you get back it will be good to go with just normal yeast lees.

I have just racked it the first time. Are you suggesting that if it is not ready, to rack it one more time?

You don’t need to rack it again. Let it be until you return. If you try to degas wine that is still fermenting, odds are you’re going to have a wine volcano.

Carboy with airlock. Seems to be fermenting a bit faster than in primary fermenter. I had a grape skins bag + oak chips floating at the top.

It sounds like you already racked once, but fermentation was not completed and it is just now finishing up.

Headspace, airlock, let it be, it should be ok for 2 weeks.

Update - Last Hydrometer check was 1.002. Left town and letting it sit. Turned the heat down in the house to 68 degrees to help slow the remaining fermentation. Will see what it is like in 2 weeks.

Back