Zinfandel grapes -> wine! A new member's introduction via a 75L of red deliciousness.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good! We won't touch acid unless by taste. I agree with this 100% also. The strips are a game changer imo.
I made wine for decades without checking pH. Initial acid was what it was, and I adjusted acid by taste prior to bottling.

I tried acid titration, but I totally suck at it with red wines. I tried again a few years ago, but with no better result.

Acid test strips provide a ballpark answer. If the pH is above 3.9 or below 3.0, IMO it needs adjustment. I might add acid if at the top end of the range, only to bring it down to 3.7 or so. I've totally FUBARed batches by playing with acid, which is where my mantra "it's easier to add more than to take some out" came from. 🤣

Good Judgment comes from Experience.
Experience comes from Bad Judgment.

Since buying the meter, I've been checking things relatively frequently -- not to change things; rather to understand how pH can change.

As a general warning, we should never read too much into exact numbers. I'll use Consumer Reports as an example -- I've been a subscriber for over 30 years, and I find their ratings very valuable. But I keep in mind the footnote they used to post on the ratings pages -- something like rating differences of less than 5 points are not necessarily meaningful, e.g., a mattress rated 82 is not necessarily superior to one rated 79.

In that light, pH values of 3.41 and 3.46 don't necessarily mean anything useful.

I'm so sorry, I completely missed this somehow. I have never used Renaissance Avante or Bravo, but it looks intriguing. It's getting a little close to time to inoculate, but I'm happy to get some if you recommend it.
It was available in smaller quantities, not sure about now. The packages I purchased were 500 g. It's unlikely you can get it quickly.

Go with Red Star or Lalvin.

One big advantage of everything from Renaissance is that their strains do not produce H2S.

It was available in smaller quantities, not sure about now. The packages I purchased were 500 g. It's unlikely you can get it quickly.

Go with Red Star or Lalvin.

One big advantage of everything from Renaissance is that their strains do not produce H2S.
Bryan, what is your favorite yeast for big reds? I know you've tried a lot of different ones. Do u have a fav?

Bryan, what is your favorite yeast for big reds? I know you've tried a lot of different ones. Do u have a fav?
The closest I have to a favorite is Avante. My second is RC-212, but it's a high nutrient strain, so I add 50% more nutrient.

I also like Red Star Pasteur Red and Renaissance Bravo.

Next fall I'll probably use Avante for the French-American hybrid batch (planned for mostly Chambourcin) as Avante eats malic acid. For the other 2 barrels I'll use Avante and Bravo. Why? Because I have a large quantity of each.

The closest I have to a favorite is Avante. My second is RC-212, but it's a high nutrient strain, so I add 50% more nutrient.

I also like Red Star Pasteur Red and Renaissance Bravo.

Next fall I'll probably use Avante for the French-American hybrid batch (planned for mostly Chambourcin) as Avante eats malic acid. For the other 2 barrels I'll use Avante and Bravo. Why? Because I have a large quantity of each.
What nutrient do you prefer? Fermaid, DAP or something else? The last time I used RC212 in an Amarone kit the fermentation seemed to stick and I ended up dropping EC118 to finish it.

Data 3/15/24
Sugar
Continuing regular pour overs of around 5 gallons at a time 4x per day. Reading this morning was 21.5° Brix.
PXL_20240315_163122907.jpg

Temperature
Increasing much slower now, 16.9°C/62.4°F.

pH
Did not measure this morning.

The must smells great, tastes great, and looks great.

Here's the oak I'm going to add to it. Mix of medium to medium+ toast.

PXL_20240314_234421213.NIGHT.jpg

Data 3/15/24
Sugar
Continuing regular pour overs of around 5 gallons at a time 4x per day. Reading this morning was 21.5° Brix.

Temperature
Increasing much slower now, 16.9°C/62.4°F.

pH
Did not measure this morning.

The must smells great, tastes great, and looks great.

Here's the oak I'm going to add to it. Mix of medium to medium+ toast.

Those are big oak chunks. Is this commonly used with the volume your fermenting? I normally see chips or shreds used.

Do you intend to add any tannin additives like FT Rouge, Opti-Red or other?
This is up to all of us! My personal vote is yes, I like opti red and lallyzyme ex, and similar products. I think we already had the recommendation to use scottsyme pec5l from someone. But I'm down for any combination you recommend!

This is up to all of us! My personal vote is yes, I like opti red and lallyzyme ex, and similar products. I think we already had the recommendation to use scottsyme pec5l from someone. But I'm down for any combination you recommend!
I use Color Pro, which does the same as several maceration enzymes. The drawback is that only a few places sell it in quantities small enough for home winemakers. Last year @VinesnBines placed an order a month before her earliest grapes were ripe, and I split an order with her. It will take at least a week to arrive.

So we'll have to use other ones. I have no experience with other maceration enzymes, so I'll listen to the experience of others.

I use Color Pro, which does the same as several maceration enzymes. The drawback is that only a few places sell it in quantities small enough for home winemakers. Last year @VinesnBines placed an order a month before her earliest grapes were ripe, and I split an order with her. It will take at least a week to arrive.

So we'll have to use other ones. I have no experience with other maceration enzymes, so I'll listen to the experience of others.
I'm actually new to color pro! I am interested in trying it. My suppliers don't appear to have it, so I'd have to order it direct, which may take a while.

Opti-red and lallyzyme sound great if you already have them on hand. I've used colorpro but never used lallyzyme but it probably does the same thing.

Opti-red and lallyzyme sound great if you already have them on hand. I've used colorpro but never used lallyzyme but it probably does the same thing.
Lallzyme is pretty amazing stuff, also needs to be added and well mixed before pitch or during cold soak (now).

We ok with proceeding with Lallzyme EX and opti-red mix since it's here and should probably be added now?

Latest posts

Back