Finding grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The past 2 seasons we have use Lanza, LMP, this year we added a small order of Koch Ranch Cab, last year was the best wine we have made, most of the credit goes to the quality of the grapes.
Past years we got our grapes from the Central Valley, we made some good wine but not even close to this years exceptional vintage.
We also had some really bad grapes from the Central Valley, one year we had 30 boxes or raisins from Old Vine Zin, our supplier made good on the bad grapes.
Like Winemaker81 mentioned you just have to take in on faith, that being said the past 2 years grapes have been very good.
We also spend 36% - 48% More for Lanza or LMP, than what we did with the Central Valley grapes.
140% more for Koch Ranch Cab, we will see first hand if its worth the money. Our initial taste after racking off the gross leas on the Koch Ranch is really impressive.
We may have a problem making a choice next year. Personally I never thought I would spend as much as we did on a lug of grapes.

What are you referring to when you say less desirable?
Every winery has their favorite vineyard or section of a vineyard that they get their grapes from year after year. The areas that go to brokers are those vineyards or areas of the vineyard that are not chosen by the local wineries. I'm not saying they are bad grapes, all the brokers that I have dealt with have written agreements on grape quality, which we would exceed. The grapes going to brokers come from the vines that were not preferred by those local wineries that have first dibs.

Are you near Gloucester, VA? How late was your last frost? How early did they break?
No, I'm at the other end of the state in Augusta County.
Our last frost was in early May and bud break had already occurred, but I covered the Marquette, so ;was minimal damage. Veraison was mid July and I harvested them in mid August.
By comparison, Chambourcin veraison was in early August and I harvested in late September; we had rain squalls in late August and Early September, followed by a drought, which really messed with harvest.

Bumping this thread. The Virginia Vineyard Association's quarterly newsletter "The Grape Press" just came out with an article about the Virginia grape glut. It is worse than anticipated. To quote "the 2022 and 2023 tonnage of unsold and dropped fruit has been staggering and devastating to many farmers."

I don't have the perfect answer but for East Coast and Eastern Midwest hobbyists paying exorbitant prices for California grapes, this should be a wake up call. A complete waste.

Bumping this thread. The Virginia Vineyard Association's quarterly newsletter "The Grape Press" just came out with an article about the Virginia grape glut. It is worse than anticipated. To quote "the 2022 and 2023 tonnage of unsold and dropped fruit has been staggering and devastating to many farmers."

I don't have the perfect answer but for East Coast and Eastern Midwest hobbyists paying exorbitant prices for California grapes, this should be a wake up call. A complete waste.
The VA vineyards need to meet home winemakers in the middle. There's a market if they are willing to sell in smaller quantities.

I'll continue to work on my end. Until the industry sees a home winemaker interest and an easy fix, not much will change. /see NorCal's remarks. There are a lot of smart people on this form so it seems someone should have ideas.

For what it is worth, CA also has a wine grape glut. A local grower here in Paso Robles told me that he is dropping 50 tons of grapes this year. He did fulfill all his contracts and sold an extra 10 tons (including 1 to me) but just had way more grapes than he had buyers for. There are lots of other growers in a similar situation

The VA vineyards need to meet home winemakers in the middle. There's a market if they are willing to sell in smaller quantities.

I'll continue to work on my end. Until the industry sees a home winemaker interest and an easy fix, not much will change. /see NorCal's remarks. There are a lot of smart people on this form so it seems someone should have ideas.

As I may have mentioned before I don't think it's the small quantities as much as the hand holding that deters them from selling to us.

They say there is safety in numbers. Same goes here. Little guys who band together are big guys. Well, bigger guys.

Finding the people and having at least a semi-knowledgeable person on point is key.

Would be nice to get together a group buy, we buy 1-1/5 - 2 tons of Cali grapes every year we are in Ocean County NJ. We have had the grapes delivered to us for the past 6 years. I realize there are lots of variables getting a shipment of grapes from California to NJ and distribute it to multiple home wine makers.
Not that it can't be done, but its not as easy as placing an order and having it delivered. We spend about pay $68- $120 for a a lug depending on the grapes, we don't have the luxury to visit the vineyard before we order, we rely on our distributor. The question is how much would we save?, and how much more of an effort would we have to deal with to get a direct grape buy? that's the real question. We have without question made better wine with better more expensive grapes.

Latest posts

Back