Wine Expert Bulk Aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryMae

The Member
Reaction score
In my reading today I saw that WE kits do not recommend bulk aging as of 2013. I've read over and over the benefits and positive opinions of bulk aging. I was planning to bulk age 6 months from my WE can/merlot kit.

What do you think?

Remember, they are in the 'Wine Kit Business'... If you don't bottle it, how can you drink it (i know; I can hear 'the choir' already :) ).. But if you haven't drank it yet, how could you possibly be ready to buy another one of the same thing?

The instructions for the Chocolate Raspberry Port I did last fall has the following in the instructions:
"Note: If you are bottling at this time you must remove the bung and airlock and replace them with a solid rubber or silicon bung. This will help to prevent oxidation until you do bottle. If you intend to leave the wine in the carboy longer than one month, you will need to top it up to within 2 inches....."

It also states the following:
"Note: Winexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphites as compared to commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months, you must add extra metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation...."

But, the Raspberry-Peach Sangria did not have this information in the instructions. So it appears they give you this information for some kits and not for others.....

Latest posts

Back