Bulk Aging and Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m rather new to the winemaking process (on my 3rd kit) and wanted to make sure I’m understanding the clearing process based on what I’ve read here on this forum.
It’s been 10 days since I racked the cab franc into the carboy, degassed and added the Ch, Ke, sorbates. And I had to top off the carboy with additional cab franc.
The wine is not quite clear and we’re leaving on a 10 day trip. The carboy is sitting in a room currently at 60 degrees f. From what I’ve been reading, it’s ok to let it sit in this cool space for up to 6 months before racking back into the primary fermenter and then bottles? Or at the very least until I return from my trip on January 28? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to WMT first off!

Is this a Kit? Sounds like it is. If so make sure you added the KMETA (Sulfite) packet as well. Make sure you have an airlock inserted (well) and filled with solution like sanitizing (KMETA) solution and you should be good to go for months really.

Welcome to WMT first off!

Is this a Kit? Sounds like it is. If so make sure you added the KMETA (Sulfite) packet as well. Make sure you have an airlock inserted (well) and filled with solution like sanitizing (KMETA) solution and you should be good to go for months really.
Yes it’s a Master Vintner kit and I did add the potassium metabisulfite as well. So I should have that in the airlock instead of just water?

I have never worked with kits (they are actually not available here in Israel and not kosher as well) but in general, clarity comes with time in Red wine, so waiting a few months patiently is the best idea

Welcome to WMT

you may laugh, ,,, BUT I have only done one kit as a club demo at state fair in 2022. It has been sitting in the carboy with minor sulphite addition till two weeks ago. The club board tried it, and it passed as good to serve at a wine club dance in February.

Kits are made to be done quickly, but one still can use the old fashioned tried and true time.

Ditto on "the wine will be fine" advice. I have a couple of other thoughts:

If you're making dry wine and it's fermented to completion (SG <= 0.998), there is no need to add sorbate. Potassium sorbate in conjunction with K-meta is birth control for yeast, and should be used if the wine isn't dry and/or backsweetening, unless the ABV > 18%. If the wine is dry, it's not necessary, and it eventually breaks down and can produce off-flavors.

If you are bulk aging the wine for 6+ months, you can skip the K&C. I did a test last year where I bottled 2 wines both with and without K&C. The test tasters found that K&C reduced aroma and most tasted a slight bitterness.

Note that all fining agents have side effects, so it's necessary to read about them and decide if one is necessary and if so, which one.

I’m rather new to the winemaking process (on my 3rd kit) and wanted to make sure I’m understanding the clearing process based on what I’ve read here on this forum.
It’s been 10 days since I racked the cab franc into the carboy, degassed and added the Ch, Ke, sorbates. And I had to top off the carboy with additional cab franc.
The wine is not quite clear and we’re leaving on a 10 day trip. The carboy is sitting in a room currently at 60 degrees f. From what I’ve been reading, it’s ok to let it sit in this cool space for up to 6 months before racking back into the primary fermenter and then bottles? Or at the very least until I return from my trip on January 28? Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to WMT!

Latest posts

Back