Question about Amounts for 1 gallon batches.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansWinemaking

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few questions concerning small batch additives. My four 1 gallon batches are humming along and I’ve started into the bulk aging process. Since these are Winexpert kits and juice from Coloma, my plan is to bulk age for 6 weeks, then bottle.

To be safe, I added one Campden tab per gallon when it was time to degas and clarify. One question I have is how much Keiselsol and Chitosan should be used in a 1 gallon batch? All of the pre made batches are set up for a 6 gallon batch. I don’t want to use too little or too much of each.

The actual bottling will be starting after the first of March, so at that point should I be adding sulfite sorbate just prior to bottling? How much per gallon?

I did degas a few times with a drill wand and the wine is very still, which is nice. The SGs all fell in the .99x range so the batch should be 11- 13% ABV so I’m happy with that too. Just looking for advice on the amounts of the add ins. Thanks for your help!

The wines are Merlot, CabSauv, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel.

If the Keiselsol and Chitosan is sized for a 6 gallon batch, you can mix the Keiselsol with water to make 1/4 cup total. Then add about 5 teaspoons to each gallon. That's the easiest way I've found to divide odd amounts. Do the same with the Chitosan about an hour or two later.

Potassium sorbate is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

If the Keiselsol and Chitosan is sized for a 6 gallon batch, you can mix the Keiselsol with water to make 1/4 cup total. Then add about 5 teaspoons to each gallon. That's the easiest way I've found to divide odd amounts. Do the same with the Chitosan about an hour or two later.

Potassium sorbate is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
Thanks QuiQuog! I left my math in the classroom many years ago!
Dan

Latest posts

Back