What are these bubbles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuiQuog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a FWK Baby Super Tuscan that finished fermenting on Oct 21st ‘23 with a SG of 0.994. It’s been sitting in bulk since then, with 1 addition of kmeta at 3 months. I was looking at it a few days ago since I’m planning on another addition when I noticed the bubbling. I didn’t degass since I’m planning on bulk aging for a year, so I’m wondering if this could be co2, since the temperature has warmed up lately. I’ve just never seen it this active at 6 months. Then again, I’ve never skipped degassing.

Edit: I guess we can’t post video? Instead, I’ll post a picture of the airlock showing the liquid to one side. The movement of the bubbles looks like the end stages of fermentation. The small headspace is also evidence of the higher ambient temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_7834.jpeg
    IMG_7834.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
This is a FWK Baby Super Tuscan that finished fermenting on Oct 21st ‘23 with a SG of 0.994. It’s been sitting in bulk since then, with 1 addition of kmeta at 3 months. I was looking at it a few days ago since I’m planning on another addition when I noticed the bubbling. I didn’t degass since I’m planning on bulk aging for a year, so I’m wondering if this could be co2, since the temperature has warmed up lately. I’ve just never seen it this active at 6 months. Then again, I’ve never skipped degassing.

Edit: I guess we can’t post video? Instead, I’ll post a picture of the airlock showing the liquid to one side. The movement of the bubbles looks like the end stages of fermentation. The small headspace is also evidence of the higher ambient temperature.
Could be related to changes in barometric pressure. I don't think it is a cause for concern.

Latest posts

Back