What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted mine the other day - delicious.

I concur. Seems a bit boozy to me at this point, though I'd been drinking a lot of beer and white wine samples earlier. I oaked it two different ways (two different carboys) and like them both (Am Med+ cubes and Am Med+ Xoakers).

Did yours spend any time in the barrel yet?

Edit: The one with the Xoakers is way smoother by a long shot than the cube version, wow! (and seems less boozy to boot)

Last edited:
I concur. Seems a bit boozy to me at this point, though I'd been drinking a lot of beer and white wine samples earlier. I oaked it two different ways (two different carboys) and like them both (Am Med+ cubes and Am Med+ Xoakers).

Edit: The one with the Xoakers is way smoother by a long shot than the cube version, wow! (and seems less boozy to boot)

You guys need a neutral third party to taste and compare your wines, I think.

Red flights:

--Fall 2016 Lanza Zin - really good for being so young - Xoaker version better by far than cube version - used Am Med+ for both (Xoaker version my favorite red to this point)
--Spring 2016 Chilean Pinot Noir - better than light body, but not much more - has nice dark fruit flavors coming through, but not juicy and over ripe, very suppressed in a way, but very smooth (should have sampled before the Zin)
--WE SE Intl Malbec w/skins + more skins - Started 11 months ago, kit taste is not very noticeable at this point which really surprises me, wonder if I'm working on getting a cold or something...
--Fall 2016 local Cab Franc - extremely light in body, but the flavor is there, just wish it had a heavier mouthfeel (and colour). Very clean flavor profile.
--SE Vieux Chateau Du Roi - 14 months - still has a candy type sweetness in the background - definitely can tell it is a kit, was hoping this would be a quick drinker, NOT!
--SE Intl Brunello - 18 months - kit taste not really discernible - slight background sweetness that has died over time - nice heavy body - smooth - highly alcoholic but the oak seems to keep this in check so far; don't think it needs any more oak

There, I'm done. Time to sleep and dream about aging wine. And maybe beautiful women who like my wine (like, maybe, my wife).

Last edited:

I don't get boozy (but my 2014 Amador Zin that I had last night still is a bit boozy). More spice than fruit. Very nice mouthfeel. It spent a little over 3 months in a neutral barrel and got some Med French cubes after that. Its going to be an outstanding base for my 'Prisoner' blend and really good on its own.

Hmmm, got a P.M. from Mr. @jgmann67 wondering if I had tasted the Lanza Zin from last Fall lately (he's making a blend of that and his Lanza Petit Sirah from last Fall). Got the thief (no tipping) and I am starting the rounds. Hit the Chilean Syrah from this Spring. A bit gassy still, but fell in love on the first taste. Now onto the other twelve batches aging. Thanks a heck of a lot Jim, I've gotta get up by 5 am tomorrow morning!

What yeast did you use for the Syrah? I used BM 4X4 and when I tasted it a few months ago I can't remember it being very gassy. About time to taste it again.

What yeast did you use for the Syrah? I used BM 4X4 and when I tasted it a few months ago I can't remember it being very gassy. About time to taste it again.

AMH to get a nice long ferment and skin contact. It's gassy because I've only racked it twice, once off the gross lees to add my MLB, once after MLF completed and added my Kmeta. I didn't use the AIO since I didn't want to chance the MLB hanging around in my tubing after I cleaned it. I won't dare bottle it until at least this time next year. It's summer, I want to be outside drinking beer and grilling/smoking food, in no particular order.

I need to rack wines today, maybe even bottle one, but it's really nice and summery out today, and it's only me and the younger boy at home, so I've got the "estate" to myself. Of course I already cracked a beer (I have eaten breakfast, so it's legal then, right?).

Opened a magnum of my 2007 Cabernet, made from frozen must, 50% Russian River Cab, 30% Old Hill Glen Ellen Cab, and 20% Columbia Gorge Malbec. When this wine was made, I was experimenting with different yeasts, half was fermented with D254 and the remainder with D80, ML and aged 12 months in a 30gal Demptos Troncais Med toast barrel. The final pH was 3.85, so I didn't think it would hold up long term, but it is very nice, still has fruit and mouth coating tannins. Nine years and the cork isn't even phased. I've got about 6 magnums left and that's it, the standard bottles were gone long ago.

2007 Cabernet.jpg

2012 EFESTE Jolie Bouche (Boushey Vineyard) Syrah. If this came out of Napa it would be $100. Anyone can have it for 60% less. Just look to the North......

This was amazing and paired wonderfully with leftover Chicken Parm. Incredible life altering juju! :sm

IMG_2499.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.04.26 PM.png

Haven't had any red wine in about 2 weeks. I was reaching for the Stags Leap at the store, but talked myself out of it. Ended up with a Napa Cabernet, Raymond 2012.
As well as Arrowood Cabernet from Sonoma. $70 for both bottles! Not my normal style, but felt the need to splurge a little.
Uncorked the Sonoma to breath, awaiting consumption

Liquid sunshine.
aK4yrfm.jpg

I tried the French Rose' and it was good. But then it was $18 a bottle. I usually only pay attention if its from WA or OR.

No, maybe I should.
The info was given to me by the liquor store employees who showed me the article.

Any input on those?

Latest posts

Back