What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2016 juice bucket Viognier. Sadly, after about a week of refrigeration, it has dropped a fairly large amount of tartrates. Lucky for me, I had the bottle upright in the fridge and they are all at the bottom. Its really good (this one is definitely better than my last), but I'm really disappointed w/ the acid fallout. I'm going to get Viognier right and when I do, the angels will sing.

Your making me appreciate more and more that CC Showcase Viognier Kit I made years ago. It won a blind taste test with against 3 commercial Viognier's!

I keep thinking that getting fresh juice at 1/3 the price can't be bad. Granted, I've only done two - and the first was a total experiment. This was still an impulse buy and somewhat of an experiment. Don't get me wrong, its very good. Just have to deal w/ those crystals in the bottom of the bottle. My wife walked by my glass, picked it up and took a big whiff. She immediately asked if it was mine or commercial, stating that it smelled 'like a store bought wine' and that she liked it. I'm not sure how to take that. :)

Drinking a glass of my Chilean Cab from Spring 2016, bottled a week or two ago and had on spare bottle after labeling 30.

Boosted the BRIX a tad before pitching BM 4x4, struggled a bit with MLF and didn't finish, then spent 6 months in a barrel. Finished up at pH 3.51 and TA 6.7, and wasn't very good 4 months ago, kinda blah.

It's way better today, and despite my wine snobbishness, I really like it. Did well with the oak, lots of dark fruit flavors, still has a slight tartness and tannins, but in another year or two, this could be really good.

Despite the MLF challenges, it has smoothed out pretty nicely, I give it thumbs up.

Mmmmm, in addition to the commercial red and my WE Eclipse Pinot Gris documented elsewhere, I opened a relatively recent Amarone for late-night sipping. It is a bit over 2 years old; the only tweaks were a yeast swap to BM45 and some FT Tannin Rouge. It is drinking very nice right now. Very smooth and rich and chewy. Not much nose, and a little boozy, but fruit-forward and dense. I like it!

Last night was a beer night.

flying-dog-brewery-bloodline-blood-orange-ale-beer-maryland-usa-10684851.jpg

Latest posts

Back