What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled a batch of Green Apple last weekend and had a little help in the tasting from a little buddy of mine

IMG_5290.jpg

catnwine.jpg

Looking good !
BUT, there is still some left in the glass.. LOL

Getting ready to make 10 gallons all grain Celis White Beer

I went to the Chautauqua Produce Auction in NY this morning and pick up 16 qts of Jalapeño peppers. Froze half of them and giving away the other half. I ordered some OB Green Apple from George and plan on fermenting the peppers with it. I will also make a batch of Jalapeño without the apple. I froze the peepers until I am ready for them. Also cleaned out the freezer and cleaned 4 cases of bottles.

ProduceAuction.jpg

I paid $3.00 per basket (1/2 peck) and my lot contained 4 baskets. A heck of a lot cheaper then at a fruit stand or store I know growing my own would be cheaper.

Today I brewed 10 gal of my version of Yuengling beer with a few of my Beer club members. The name of the club is
"Barley Legal Homebrewers"

My family made sorghum last weekend, alot of work but good stuff. Used to talk with Swill about it but have not heard from him in awhile.Great Grandpa made it except for a couple of years during WWII when they came around for steel drive and he gave them the press. Still at it but workers are dwindling.

Here is the cane patch, strip the leaves off and cut heads to load to take to the press
20100907_151516_sorghum_10_007_.jpg

Here is pressing the cane
20100907_153112_sorghum_10_006_.jpg

20100907_152111_sorghum_10_002_.jpg

Start of the boil, doesn't look too good there
20100907_152220_sorghum_10_016_.jpg

About done with the boil, takes around 5-5 1/2hours to boil 75 gals down to 10. Turns to a golden brown when finished.
20100907_152401_sorghum_10_009_.jpg

That was my Labor Day weekend!

I cleaned out my "toy box" or storage shed. Its 12x11 with a loft for extra storage.

Took a load of stuff to the dump and a load of stuff to the local thrift shop.

I now have room for all those cases and cases of empty bottles that have been stacking up in the winery and garage. I almost couldn't walk in the winery for all the boxes of empty's.

Man, Fall is in the air this weekend. Low yesterday was 40! Warmed up nicely though with loads of sunshine.

Made for a great day to work outside.
smiley20.gif

Yesterday I ordered a Orange Chocolate Port from George that will be here in October and then picked up a South African Chenin Blanc I am going to start today. I didn't get my almonds done either yesterday so I'll be toasting them today for my Cherry wine.

Back