What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just "acquired" 10 FREE Pineapples. Thats on top of 9 FREE last Sunday..
A beginning of my next batch of Pineapple Wine !

New guy at my dump and he made a mistake and misunderstood me and only collected 1500 ml bottles which I dont use. I didnt have the heart to throw them away in front of him and still gave him the bottles I brought for him and asked him to only save the 750 cork bottles and he said he'll collect them all week for me and I can pick them up next weekend so that should be a good score then I hope cause I need bottles bad!!!!! Ran to the dump in my town and got rid of all those bottles.

After yet another rainy evening yeasterday, things were like a sauna this AM outside, too wet to work the vines in the vineyard. I worked instead in the winery putting the last door in place and finishing up the locks in there. I washed a couple windows and checked outside- yuck 85 degrees and 85% humidity (or higher). I went out and pruned vines all day- thinning as I went. It is a bit slower than you would normally go because it is the section of the vineyard for my NE SARE Grant work. I have 2 types of training and three treatments of canopy management and record the time spent doing it and record notes. SOme are only pruned, some I thin the clusters and hedge and some I hedge if needed and shoot thin those. I worked up a real sweat today so knocked off for a while at 4PM. I will soon go back out for a couple more hours.

Here in NJ its 100* with a heat index up to 110*.

Inside only today

Its freakin hot out there!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stayed in the ac upstairs for some time but did just do a lot of wine work down in the basement where it is almost as cool as upstairs but that dang horizontal encapsular can heat things up pretty fast so I now have a big stand up fan also. I bottled 1 batch, labeled 4 batches and cellared them and also filtered and racked another. Wanted to bottle more but have nothing left to give. Tomorrow Im taking the kids to a museum and if there is time left tomorrow night Ill bottle the last batch I have bottles for.

Hi all

Yep - it is HOT here too!! About 104 but it's a dry heat. Yeah, right - still bloody hot. Usually bottle in the work room but even with a swamp cooler it is still warm so bottled in the cool room . Running about 89-92 and this is where my barrels are.

Wine temp in the barrels about 85. Almost too warm but have no choice at this time. Probably need to add more insulation to barrel room and open up the door from the cool room where it stays at 58-60 year around.

So, bottled 4 batches this morning and I even bottled the Chocolate Raspberry Port - Used the 375 size so have 30 bottles and boy is it good. Still have to run the labels and get them all capsuled too.

I have 3 more batches to bottle and they will be done by mid-august. Daughters wedding September 4th and we are having about 150 people here so there will be a bid dent in the wine inventory soon. Of course, my wife is making baskets for all the folks from out of town and will be in their hotel rooms when they arrive. And, of course, there will be at least 2 bottles in each basket - probably 35 baskets.

and guess where are the water; sodas and beer is ending up? Yep, in the cold room. Can't hardly see the wine for boxes - boxes - boxes!!! And there is approx 700 bottles in there.

Spending quite a few hours at the vineyard. Cutting suckers; checking water and clearing lines; fertilizing through the irrigation system. Mowing the excess weeds; watching for mildew (none that I see since we have sulfered 3 times. Vineyard is about 23 miles away and we get there 2-3 times a week.

Then starts harvest soon thereafter. We are approximately 2-2.5 weeks behind this year so we should start about Sept 10th. The orange muscat is first to come off and we have to watch that one close - cause of the wild turkeys and raccoons.

The yield looks great so the property owner decided to spend some $$$. We have the Eagle Scare bird and the scare windmill and he just bought the Bird guard sound system too. You can see all these at www.birdcontrolsupplies.com/wildturkeycontrol.htm.

and then for the raccoons we bought 2 of these traps from www.ironcitytrapcompany.com

He also bought 8 rolls of field fence with the 2x4 inch spacing that we will have to get up too. We will just stand this up - stretch - and attach to the iron pipe fence that is around the whole vineyard. We will then mount 2 strands of hot wire to this too.

And if we still have critters - the 22.

This is what we are up too - so just wanted to share.

As we get closer to our harvest we will start posting more pictures and have to help Paul again this year too.

Good luck to all.

rrawhide

It's HOT ! !

20100724_195425_IMG_0071_Small.JPG

Wow Rick, you have lots of critters to fend off huh! Maybe you need to train a falcon to keep all the birds away!

Waiting out Bonnie to visit us as well as prepping my desktop cpu for an overhaul tomorrow. Windows 7 finally makes it to my desktop

I'm hoping we will get some rain off of her. These hot, dry and windy days have sure sucked the moisture out of everything here

Just finished starting my KIWI wine (6 gal).

I scored 2 cases (at least 40#) of Kiwi. The cost you ask? Well I took a whole (1) bottle of my Pineapple wine to get them.
Oh this is the same guy that GAVE (free) me the Pineapples last year

Good deal..

You have a great collection of hook ups Tepe and with all that cheap or free fruit Id have no cellar at all.

"Sometimes"
It's not what you know
Its WHO you know.

Drinking my Pear wine that was started last year

I got 33# of "cored" (peeled) kiwi. So, planning on fermenting that and add a large Strawberry f-pac.

What do you think?

tepe said:
"Sometimes"</font>
It's not what you know</font>
Its WHO you know.</font>
</font>
Drinking my Pear wine that was started last year</font>
</font>
I got 33# of "cored" (peeled) kiwi. So, planning on fermenting that and add a large Strawberry f-pac. </font>
</font>
What do you think?</font>

Yum!

Ummmm hmmmmm Tepe!

Well I manged to get almost my whole list of wines done that I had planned for and that was a lot of wine work. I labeled, capsuled, and cellared 4 batches that were hanging around in my wine room for either a week or 3 depending n which batch. I filtered and bottled another. I racked and stabilized 3 others.

Back