waterless airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley1.gif
To Country, "Much Thanks," the FermRite airlock arrived "swiftly" yesterday and will be put to use very soon. My reviews will soon follow. "Happy Winemaking!"

To George, "Much Thanks!" I wish you and yours a prosperous and Happy New Year!

And to all the members of this great forum, I wish the best to all of you and thank you for sharing your knowledge, and experience which has helped me and many others enjoy this great and challenging adventure.

"God Bless you all, and have a great Chirstmas and New Year!"
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Maui Joe

Anytime Joe! Same to ya. How'd you like that professional packaging? lol
smiley36.gif

I don't know about waterless airlocks, I want to get some glass ones just cause they might look cool
smiley16.gif
I like to see the bubbles, but maybe thats cause I'm still fermenting and don't have carboys just sitting and waiting. I also have to get that wine thief that the hyrometer goes in, tomorrows PAY DAY George
smiley20.gif

I have never tried the waterless airlocks, but they intrigue me.

But, I'm still sort of old-fashioned and like to see the bubbles bubble away in the airlock. Plus, they are quite inexpensive.

Martina, just email me your address again and I will send you one, carboy size. They stay in my 6 gallon carboys nicely and work very well, but they keep slipping out of my 3 and 5 gallon mexican carboys. If you want it, you must give feedback about it to George, as above.

You are very kind, but I have a feeling that they'd slip out of my 5 gallon carboys as well. I predominantly use the 5-ers...

Thanks, though. You are very sweet to have offered.

Just trying to do my part to further the winemaking manufacturers psychological brain washing agenda.

George, the waterless airlocks are cool, and thanks to you CW as well.

I got a "little band" going on here. With the waterless airlocks, "going flap-flap," and my tripples going "blurp-blurp, all I need is some wind chimes and record...natural wine rythums!

You Hawaiians have it right! When you can make music from your wine making, you have a great mindset. Must be that tropical atmosphere.

I am glad you like them, but I still think they need some work. The number one complaint is that they don't stay down in the carboy.

I just started using them and I better check again if I have that problem as well. Even with the regular bungs, I make sure that the carboy is "squeaky dry". Some of my gallon jugs look the same, however I will get one to continue slipping no matter what. I used those plastic ties, one around the rim of the jug, then looped one over the bung and torked it down. That seems to work ok .

Edited by: Maui Joe

I believe that is the key Joe...I used two recently when aging two batches with some oak beans and the inside of the neck has to be dry and they stayed in place fine for 2 months.

At one point I ranout of bungs and had an "oversized one" lying around. So ran a bolt and nut through and mounted it on my drill. Used a rasp file held at the angle, and shaved it down some to fit the use. Low and behold, that bung is the best of them all with a "tad" for depth it seems to be more secure than the normal fitting ones.

Ah yes, if I knew of a liquid rubber (food grade) that one could form their own to meet their needs, I would even attempt to try that.

Yes, George, the only problem I have had with them is staying in my 5 gallon carboys. they stay in the 6 and 3 just fine. I have had one in the scuppernong bulk aging for ever since you sent them.

I like to see the bubbles though going thru. At a glance you know that things are still happening.

I with Maui on this one. I really enjoy see the bubbles go through the airlock.

I trust my eyes more than my hearing. Plus, I can take a peak thru the cellar door and check out the bubble action without wondering if theaction might of stopped at all.

That would be very important for me. I spend too much time as it is with my wines. hehehe

Back