Skeeter Jam Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie

Reaction score
Has anyone evermade SK using jam? I have a big jar of strawberry jam that was super cheap. Strawberry and lemon?? Hmmm, would that be a good combination? :?

I have had strawberry lemonade many times so yes I think it would be good!

as soon as the primary is free I guess I will have to try it...if it turns out good then it would be the perfect drink for jammies

K, some questions for all you SP experts....yesterday I emptied a 1L jar (about 34 oz for you Americans) into some boiling water and added some pectic enzyme. I used abit over 1 gallon of water - most jam wine recipes call for more then 1 jar for a gallon.

Think 1 jar might be to much for just one gallon? Having never tasted completed SP I am not sure if the jam might overpower the lemon.

Suggestions??

What size batch of SP are you making? If it's a 5-6 gallon batch, that strawberry will add some nice elements, but won't overpower the lemon. It takes a LOT to overpower lemon.

I was only going to do 1 gallon but after seeing how strong the jam is I might do a 3 gallon batch

backsweeten my strawberry jam last week. The only concentrate I could find was Fruitopia - I added one can as is and tried to reduce the second one to get a stronger flavour. There is water in the concentrate so I did not want to water down the wine. I just racked it off some sediment and it tastes pretty good. I did not add the second addition of lemon but it still has an initial tart taste, then the strawberry hits. Still not quite clear enough so I am going to let it sit for some time. I tried to degass again thinking that was the problem but doesn't appear to be.

I bottled my first batch about a week after sweetening. Put it in the fridge and after another week it really dropped sediment. Will have abit more patience with this batch!

I have only made 2 1-gallon batches of this stuff - the first one was way to tart and acidic for my liking. This one much better. I have to rack a white zin tonight or tomorrow so I am thinking of making a full size batch --- maybe Pomegranate or Raspberry with the zin??

If it is too tart, try adding a little more sugar. Just add it to some in a glass and if you like it you can add to the whole batch. Arne.

yup - did that and I still found it too acidic and tart. In cutting the recipe down to one gallon I think I used too much lemon, and as someone commented, added acid with orange concentrate, it ended up to be waaay too much. I am going to do another batch and use less lemon and blend or use this as topup for it and other batches....might sweeten abit more and add a dash or two of vodka (or something like that :D ) It will get used!!

Just remember... after a few weeks... some of the "bitterness" of the lemon goes away... and you just have "tart" left!

It all works out... you'll see...

Then you'll be making MORE!!

Debbie

wow...after another week the bitterness in my creamsicle pee did go away and it is quite good now. I guess I was too quick in bottling and sampling this batch - very bitter and have alot of sediment in the bottom on the bottles now. A couple more weeks in the carboy would have made all the difference. Live and learn!!

I have degassed twice and used sparkelloid twice and can't seem to get this to clear. It has been sitting for over a week since the last sparkelloid and the neck of the carboy is clear but the rest of the wine is still cloudy. I have a small bottle of leftovers in the fridge and that cleared with no problems. Tried putting the carboy in the fridge a few days ago and nothing.

From other threads sparkelloid seems to work fairly quickly. I am going to leave this batch for a few more weeks to see if it clears but what else can I add if the sparkelloid does not work. So far I have used a good tsp for a 1 gallon batch and I don't want to over-sparkelloid.

From what I've gathered the sparkolloid will clear the wine faster when it's at a warm temperature. Try getting it up to 75-80 if you can.

it was sitting at around 70F for over a week and nothing....maybe I will try a blanket cover and some heat and see if that helps

Latest posts

Back