Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jindak

Junior
Reaction score
Ahoy!

I have heard that Golden Raspberries are sweeter and less tart than the raspberries you find in stores.
However I have yet to get a golden raspberry plant (I also don't know if I can just order the fruit online?) and have never tasted a golden raspberry.

Has anyone tasted them and do you think they'd make a good mead?

Has anyone made a mead with them?

Additionally, what other flavors and things to add do you think would really make a Golden Raspberry Mead pop?

If I can't order the fruit online, do you think golden raspberry jam or puree would work in it's stead?

Sorry if my sentences are not up to grammer snuff. Couldn't sleep so this is where I'm at.

I am growing Golden Raspberries, and they are delicious. I don't have enough to make mead (yet), but I added some red raspberries to mead and the flavor was very good. The flavor of the yellow raspberries is somewhat more delicate than red raspberries, so you might need to increase the quantity of fruit.

If you can't find the plants locally, you could try ordering the plants them online. Most established on-line nurseries are careful about how they pack and ship their plants, and they usually have a guarantee that the plants will survive.

I am growing Golden Raspberries, and they are delicious. I don't have enough to make mead (yet), but I added some red raspberries to mead and the flavor was very good. The flavor of the yellow raspberries is somewhat more delicate than red raspberries, so you might need to increase the quantity of fruit.

If you can't find the plants locally, you could try ordering the plants them online. Most established on-line nurseries are careful about how they pack and ship their plants, and they usually have a guarantee that the plants will survive.
Thank you! I will look into getting a plant hopefully soon. If you use golden raspberries in a mead let me know how it turned out please.

From a farming point of view the golden / yellow raspberry seems more fragile, yield is similar to reds or blacks, they were reproducing with underground rhizomes which means they are genetically closer to the reds.
Flavor is milder, I don’t have numbers but would guess they are higher pH than reds. That said to make the flavor pop you may need more acid.
The color in reds and blacks is very stable with jelly temperature and with metabisulphite, the yellows seemed to be washed out if I made something.
Juice yield they look like the reds so ought to give up 80 to 83% moisture.

I can get them at the local garden center. All big suppliers like Proven Winners should have them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back