Recipe for Blackberry Port?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I would appreciate if you would share a tried and true recipe for a blackberry port and, preferably, one made with juice obtained by steam juicing. It won't be long until I am shedding blood to the briars and ticks once again!

Im hoping Jobe or waldo jump in as I know Jobes was totally awesome using light malt extract and i believe Waldo did his along with Jobe, never tried Waldos though!

Hey Waldo thanks for that thread. It jogged my memory - I made this a couple of years ago and put that along with a Blueberry Port away to age. They are close to 2 years in the bottle - need to go digging.
VPC

Yeh, take a swig for us!
smiley4.gif

I made this according to the recipe and added brandy at the end. The berries were hand crushed (no steam juicer at the time).
The port has more mouth feel then the blackberry wine that I made at the same time, but its still not thick like a traditional port. I can taste and smell the blackberries and as it breathes the blackberry is really starting to open up. Reading back over my first tasting notes this was pretty rough, I used the word raw, but seems to have aged nicely.
I would make this again but I would not use brandy as it seems to hide the blackberry, at least at first, now that its opened up the blackberry is more evident. I would also use some oak or a barrel and back sweeten a little more as well, this is not as sweet as other ports and according to my notes I did back sweeten but should have not listened to hubby and added more sugar.

I think if this could have aged an oak barrel it would have been amazing. Right now I would call it very good, with a lot of potential with some more tinkering.
VPC

Actually the longer it opens up the better it gets.

Latest posts

Back