Looking for PDF recipes for Melomels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applewineguy

Reaction score
I am looking for tried and proven really good Melomel recipes made from frozen fruit. I would like to acquire some PDF recipes that go into detail for exact amounts of required ingredients and steps if possible. I've been out of the game for probably close to 12 years and coming back into it full bore. I had made a few wines that were actually sought by restaurants to have them in their bars but that's not possible with home brewers so. I would like to try some more bold recipes than what I had done before.
FB_IMG_1441393478945.jpg
What I have under my belt:
Dragons Blood
Strawberry Melomel
Oaked Apple/ Grape

Finding PDFs of recipes may or may not work, as it depends on how the recipes were published. Search for the book of Jack Keller recipes that was published -- I don't have a URL for it.

My intro to mead was Ken Schram: Mead Maker. Actually I like him as a guide for all wine making since he goes into the why in how to build a recipe. I found this more useful than a set recipe which leaves me asking what to do with left overs.

My recipe for all wines/ meads is
1) weigh the fruit to decide which size carboy. I look for strong aromatics which means that many batches are 100% fruit/ plus a sugar —> NO added water. Many batches have 1 to 2% crab apple / crab juice from the freezer as a tannin source.
2) adjust the pH to 3.2 to 3.5, this sometimes is add low pH with high pH
2.5) tannin
3) determine must gravity and run a sugar calculation; Fermcalc.com is good
4) step addition of organic nitrogen; Fermcalc.com is good
5) ferment to 1.020 to 1.010 remove fruit and put under airlock
6) rack off lees at a month
etc till clear enough to bottle
10) bench trials for back sweetening
11) degas and bottle

Wine making is cooking. Taste is everything so pre made recipes can be wrong.

but use a pure honey, wild flower, clover, buckwheat, and so on,
i make now and then a wildflower honey with stella hops that have a flora taste so the hop and honey complement each other. , and bulk age 3 to 5 years, i find mine dosen't reach maturate
till around 5 years aging, but everyone is different,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back