Chilean grapes!!!! Newbie!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok great!!! I am starting my list!!! Lol. I do need to watch the finances this go around bc start up with this was a lot. Crush and press and all the demijons ect ect. And the grapes are going to cost close to 300.00 bucks as well. Now what about the mlf culture??? I gather I want a strong work horse type so my chances of a problem are less. And a nutrient for that as well?? I don't want to do the method where u prepare it days ahead and let it sit bc my schedule is un predictable and I won't be able to plan that out well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

If it wasn't for this group I would not even be attempting any of this!!!!!! My most sincere thanks to u guys!!!!

By the way--morewine sells the chromo test kit for MLF--it's $69.99. But then all you'll need to replenish is the papers,solvent, and reagents. We don't even run the standards on the paper anymore because we know what we're looking for---so we cut the papers into strips and they last a long time that way!! Once you run the standards on a full sheet, you'll see what I mean. So once you know where the malic and lactic acids end up on the paper, you really don't need to use full sheets anymore and that will save money.

Morewine sells the MLB (the bacteria for the MLF) and we like the Bacchus the best. You have to be sure you don't sulfite the must too much because the MLB can have a hard time getting going under alot of sulfite. Be sure you don't have more than 20PPM of sulfite--this is where an SO2 tester is handy to have. Alcohol level needs to be no more than 13.5%. You see how you have to plan your musts when you have the intention of doing MLF. It's alot to manage for a newbie.

You also need special nutrient for the MLB, like Opti Malo Plus.

You start the MLF as soon as the primary ferment is done. You rack to carboys from the primary, then start the MLF.

If you weren't intimidated before, you probably ARE now. Decide if you're up to it before commiting. It's not only more work, but more expense.

I don't mind the work and it seems with this hobby investing is necessary. Although when u start taking about ppm I cringed!!!' I have no clue how to obtain this info. I am so torn!!!!! Wish they had a pdf step by step for wine making start to finish with mlf for the complete novice (dummy)

Hmmm--just not sure on that tester you found. The problem is this---I've never bought any of the PH meters sold for winemaking, so I don't know which one is best. I have a commercial PH meter that I got from work when we upgrded our PH test equipment for water treatment. They no longer needed the handheld unit and gave it to us for winemaking. So I'm in the dark--you need to ask others here which meter they like best.

Yeah--this hobby is pricey starting out!!! But then you have the stuff and the expenses go down, later on. If the chromo test is too expensive this time and you still want to do MLF, then get an Accuvin test kit.

The Bacchus culture for MLF is a good one. It's the one we use and you won't have any problem with it. It always goes to completion. You just have to keep the temp at 64-75 degrees plus the other contingencies I mentioned.

Yep this is a big load for a newbie--be sure to keep us in the loop as you move along. Read up on Fermaid K--you've got to step-feed nutrient so you don't end up with a problem ferment.

Wish they had a pdf step by step for wine making start to finish with mlf for the complete novice (dummy)

MoreWine has a great guide that walks you through the entire process.

Well, do you know how these grapes are coming to you? Will they be frozen? Will there be SO2 on them for transit? Many people do ferments without SO2 on the first day after the crush when the are going to do MLF's. But because these grapes are traveling a long way, unless they are frozen, there could be quite a bit of SO2 on them!!

Did you ever go to the Westchester wine club online. They are in NJ, just like you. They are masters when it comes to fermenting grapes. All of them have tons of wine science knowledge. You should Google them and visit their site--you can post there with no problem. I think they may be of alot of help to you as they are very experienced with shipped-in grapes from other locations. I don't have experience in that area, as I deal with local grapes and use juice buckets. Just not sure what to tell you to expect with the shipped in grapes from Chile. Hopefully, someone here has experience with it.

Ok I was looking at all the testing equipment on morewine and I am not ready to invest in soooooo many devices. Not to mention I have no clue what the hell they are talking about!!!! I have no problem getting the chromo kit tho. Can I do this with ph strips?? And no co2 testing??!

I think you mean SO2 testing--not CO2 testing. Yeah--you can get by without SO2 testing. I know nayrea--any time you don't understand, I'll do my best to explain what I know. What didn't you understand about the test equip?

Oh yes so2. Lol. Sorry. The mathematical portion was a bit much for me. Lol. Reminder of why I hated chem and bio chem. so much science!!! Whoa. But I want to do this!!!!! I think I can I think I can!!! Lol. So I need to order chromo kit and ph meter. But when u said to watch the ppm of sulfite how would I do that??? With no so2 monitor??

A local vintner made a "winemakers blend". 60% Carmenere, 20% Petit Syrah, 20% Cab. Yummie!! Chilean juices I do believe.

nayrea---guess who would know how these grapes come in? The Westcgester winemaking club--they were talking about the Chilean grapes on their site and how they came in last year. They would know how much SO2 is on these grapes. I've never worked with them--so don't know how they're treated. Go look at their posts on this subject and ask them that question.

nayrea---guess who would know how these grapes come in? The Westcgester winemaking club--they were talking about the Chilean grapes on their site and how they came in last year. They would know how much SO2 is on these grapes. I've never worked with them--so don't know how they're treated. Go look at their posts on this subject and ask them that question.

I will do that!!!! Thank u thank u thank u!!!!!! Have a great day!!

And the money spending begins!!! Just ordered my chromo kit, mw 102, my Opti malo, Bacchus, and nice punch down tool as well!!! Still need my yeast and some more meta. And advice on fermax vs fermaid k and go ferm.

Get fermaid k and go ferm. Don't have time to explain but has worked great with my yeast. I been using BM 4x4. Wasn't hard and had no issues during fermentation on last two kits I did. It actually kept my yeast stress free and smooth fermentation. It never got out of hand. Lol

nayrea---go to the Scott Labs website and look at the info on Fermaid products there. Also, take a look at their online Fermentation Handbook. If you call them, they'll send you the book. www.scottlab.com and [email protected] Their phone number is 707-765-6666

Nayrea,

How are you fixed for a press, crusher, etc?

johnT.

I am destemming by hand and I have electric stainless steel crusher and a huge basket press. Got them on Craig's list last year.

Latest posts

Back