Howdy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoke

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me try this again! Newbie from Michigan. Last year I harvested one 150 lbs of concord style grapes from my arbor (vines were in the garden when we bought the house), and over 100 lbs of strawberries that we planted. Sold most of the berries that we didn’t eat, Ana turned the grapes into 6 gallons of wine, using Jack Keller‘a “home wine making” book,(or at least what I could understand) !

Just stumbled onto this forum, so I’m hoping your fold can help me do a better job on my subsequent attempts. I’ll do my best to research questions before asking, but hope you’ll bear with me when I ask dumb ones!

Attachments

• E5F1FA62-F7E7-4F8D-A093-4471C8356A93.jpeg
    E5F1FA62-F7E7-4F8D-A093-4471C8356A93.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 42DB3B6E-3648-461F-9316-96EBE0369219.jpeg
    42DB3B6E-3648-461F-9316-96EBE0369219.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Let me try this again! Newbie from Michigan. Last year I harvested one 150 lbs of concord style grapes from my arbor (vines were in the garden when we bought the house), and over 100 lbs of strawberries that we planted. Sold most of the berries that we didn’t eat, Ana turned the grapes into 6 gallons of wine, using Jack Keller‘a “home wine making” book,(or at least what I could understand) !

Just stumbled onto this forum, so I’m hoping your fold can help me do a better job on my subsequent attempts. I’ll do my best to research questions before asking, but hope you’ll bear with me when I ask dumb ones!
Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you on board.

I am amazed that you yielded 150 lbs. of grapes from what appears to be 2 vines. Am I missing something? In my opinion, Concord grapes normally do not make a great wine and will require back sweetening to get something that is enjoyable.

Where are you located in the States? You appear to have a great crop of strawberries going already, i.e. lots of blooms.

Last edited:
Welcome. For reference, Concord is used to make Mogen David wine (it’s often used as communion wine). Not your typical winery selection but many like it and that’s all that counts.

Even if you don’t care for straight concord, it can be mixed with other fruit to make a very pleasant wine.

It does make a great jelly!

Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you on borad.

I am amazed that you yielded 150 lbs. of grapes from what appears to be 2 vines. Am I missing something? In my opinion, Concord grapes normally do not make a great wine and will require back sweetening to get something that is enjoyable.

Where are you located in the States? You appear to have a great crop of strawberries going already, i.e. lots of blooms.
The pictures are from last year. If you notice the arbor, I have never trimmed all vines back to the mail trunk and let 2-3 per branch stay long.

I’ve never been taught how to prune grape vines so…

I’m trying to grow a canopy over the space below the vines. Will post pictures as the grapes come in.

I call them concord because really, I don’t have any idea what they are, or how to tell the difference. They were here when I bought the property 5 years ago.

Last fall was the forest time I tried harvesting them and make wine with them.

never been taught how to prune grape vines so… trying to grow a canopy over the space below the vines. Will post pictures as the grapes come in.
welcome to WMT

grapes produce fruit on second year wood, (last years new growth) Pruning is looking at the age of the wood and choosing where you want the growth to be/ fruit to be in the future. It is possible to kill the 2024 crop to have other benefits as shade. On my part I encourage growth so maintenance is easier. Church has some grapes providing grapes on pergolas, but for maintenance/ picking this requires a ladder.
I like concord for providing acid (backbone) and fruity aromatics and stable color. Concord has low tannin (long flavor notes) though. My favorite wine using concord is to make elderberry (has tannin and so so color) but use concord juice instead of water.

Latest posts

Back