Dizzy's wine journey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Followup!

So we had our wedding, yay! Apparently our stuff was TOO professionally done, a lot of people didn't realize we made the wine or thought we like, put labels on something that someone else made etc. The ones who understood what we did thought it was dope! BUT we have a lot left over, I guess our crew wasn't heavy drinkers and there was about 60% of wine and 75% of beer left.

I brought some of the rose (the wine that was the least good of the trio) over to an end-of-season hang at a new farm across town from us. Figured it made sense. People were going wild about it and there were a few nerds who appreciated it ("it's so dry, it's awesome" "I get that strawberry rhubarb in it, tho subtle, really unique" etc). Was offered a chance to sell it at the farmstand next year which is SUUUUPER not legal altho these people are chill and everything is technically run as donations there for now. So yeah. But I think there's a good chance for barter which would be really cool. Also one person asked if I'd be interested in doing it for her wedding (not engaged yet but I guess things looking good) and someone else mentioned something about some dinner events at the farm, would I be interested in providing wine? Whole lot of possibilities there for the future.

Anyway it definitely made me feel good. I think a lot of the people who had it so far were just whatever wine drinkers so it was nice to have some people who could appreciate it be into it. IDK when I'm going to make another batch tho but it seems like a cool hobby to do over the long term.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Glad folks liked what you did. Just so you know Bartering is just as illegal as selling. Someone can buy you a kit/juice/grapes and you provide them with wine made from it, probably. I got my law degree from the great state of Google and we all know everything on the Internet has to be true Abraham Lincoln and Ben Franklin both said that.

My bottom line is I will give anyone of legal drinking age any wine that they want, if they want second bottles at a later time, return the bottles to me, that's all I ask. Nothing that has any look, feel, hint of you give me something, I give you wine in exchange for it.

Was offered a chance to sell it at the farmstand next year which is SUUUUPER not legal altho these people are chill and everything is technically run as donations there for now.
Be very cautious of anything remotely resembling sales. Even if it's for a charity, anyone selling in the USA needs applicable licenses, else it's bootlegging. This includes barter.

On a small scale, getting caught is unlikely, and unless the amount is significant it's unlikely to get prosecuted. The biggest danger is that people talk and if someone says, "I bought Dizzy's wine," it can be enough to start an investigation. My father was a cop and his advice was that even if you're innocent, it's best to not be investigated.

As @cmason1957 said, you can give wine away, as I did for my son's wedding reception. You can also make wine for others, e.g., they purchase the materials and you donate your labor.

If money is exchanging hands in any way, research your local laws before doing anything. Better safe than sorry.

NC has readily available information for starting a winery. While I have no interest in going pro, it's interesting reading.

http://www.ncagr.gov/markets/ncwine/starting-a-winery/starting-a-commercial-winery.html

Cool I'll read up on it! TBH I don't know if I'll really be motivated enough to make more than we'll drink so who even knows....anyway doing a workshare at the farm next year instead would be better for me to get in shape, haha

Just found this thread yesterday, congrats on your wedding and your successful 3 batches of wine! Love the rose idea and the saving of those Cabernet skins in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back