Chilean grapes!!!! Newbie!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nayrea143

Reaction score
I will be doing my first crush very soon and will be ordering my grapes this week. I want to do a blend and would like to crush and ferment them together. And suggestions on type or ratio??? I am looking to do about 200 lbs total. Using a 14.5 demijohn and some small carboys or one gallon jugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

What are you blending?

FWIW, I'm also doing a field blend. I'm using Cab Sauv, Syrah and Merlot. 108lbs total. 3 lugs of Cab, 2 Syrah, and 1 Merlot.

I haven't decided yet. This is my first time and have heard from some people that not all grapes can be blended in the crush and have to be done separately. ImageUploadedByWine Making1395685785.259267.jpg these are my choices.

What are you blending?

FWIW, I'm also doing a field blend. I'm using Cab Sauv, Syrah and Merlot. 108lbs total. 3 lugs of Cab, 2 Syrah, and 1 Merlot.

That's the blend I was thinking just not sure the ratio. I suppose since I am doubling the amount your doing I could prob just follow your ratios. Will u crush and ferment them all together?? Same container??

Because my quantity is relatively small, I'm going to crush and ferment together. It doesn't make much sense to me to keep them separate. I've only got one all grape batch under my belt, so with more experience (and hopefully success), I'll move to larger quantities and would then consider fermenting separately and blending when finished.

I have done several batches of Chilean, here is what I suggest...

I would do a 80/20 cabernet to merlot.

Chilean grapes come in 1/2 lug crates (or hl) of 18 pounds.

For a 54 liter demijohn, you will need a minimum of 10 half lugs.

This works out to 8 half lugs of cabernet, and 2 half lugs of merlot. If you plan to get an additional half lug (to bring the total weight to 198 pounds) I would just get an additional cabernet.

The cabernet and merlot grapes coming from chille is remarkable in quality. I have made this blend and have to say it is some of the best that I have ever made.

another option would be to swap the merlot for carmenere. This will make the resulting wine a little more "peppery".

I always crush them together, macerate them together, ferment them together, and press them together.

Excellent!!!! That sounds great!!! That's exactly the info I was looking for!!!!

Use would use Lalvin RC-212, my yeast of choice.

I find that syrah "thins out" the rich boldness of the cab/merlot blend. I like 'em big and bold.

And is it necessary to do a mlf ???

Hmmmm this is my first batch from grapes. And my last experience was juice and I did wild fermentation (family friends method) and well no surprise but it's crap. I wonder if mlf is out of my league?!?! Does it make a huge difference?? Or will it just give me another step I could mess up and ruin my wine

Nayrea,

You can make a superb wine without MLF.

but, if you were to put that superb wine through MLF, you would end up with a wine that is abso-freaking-lutely mind blowing!

Unless you are using sorbate, MLB will not cause your wine any harm. IMHO, it is worth a try.

Thank u guys for the advice. I am going to do some research and see if I am up for it this round. If not I will try it in the fall when I have some more experience with grapes.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what IMHO ???

Latest posts

Back