You've got to be kidding me!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I'm working at the lhbs today, as I walk in, I hear that same bone head owner telling a customer to add MLB to their Mosti Mondiale all juice kit...... He also had them use lalvin 71B yeast on this Cab Sav kit....this yeast has no place in a cab....lol
When I tried to explain that MLF would probably ruin the kit, be didn't want to hear it......
This guy is a fountain of misinformation....

I travel often and visit a very large LHBS in New England frequently - enough to notice how they operate. Most of the people there are experienced, but I make it a point of discussing an issue I'm familiar with before I ask a new person for advice.

That doesn't explain the owner, who should know what he's doing. Of course he may just have been confused because MM does make some products that would benefit from MLF not the AllJuice, though.

Last edited:
It was not about giving good advice. It was about the almighty dollar. Very unfortunate though because that winemaker might be so unhappy about making a bad wine he may quit making it. Where as if the owner made successful winemakers they would keep coming back.

I once attended a winemaking class put on by a local shop. It was $25 a head and 18 of us showed up (do the math). I knew how to make wine at that time better than most laymen but took the class to see what else i could learn. We gathered in the back room and stood in front of a table which had a can opener and a 5 gallon carboy on it. He opened a can of strawberry concentrate, dumped it in the carboy, and proceeded to add water, yeast, and acid blend to it. "That's all there is too it" he said. My jaw hit the floor. Just then a customer walked in. He excused himself and went into the shop and began selling stuff to these men. Are you kidding me?!! First he robs me of $25, then he bocces his class, and finally asks 18 of us to wait while he sells a few things?!!!! While he was gone I heard the others begin to get angry, asking each other all the questions they had come to get answers to. I immediately chimed in and the more I answered the more they asked. When he came back he quickly became upset that the class was ignoring him and taking turns asking me what to do and when to do it. When he finally barked "hey this is my class" I snapped back with "these people came here hoping to learn how to make wine and all you did was show them how to dump stuff (perhaps i used a more colorful word) into a jug. His response to me was "hey man what do you want from me, I'm a beer maker not a winemaker"! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!! I would give anything to work in a winery or own a shop like his and he just uses it to milk innocent people. Wow.

Hey Tingo, is that place over by the airport? Sounds like the one. I bought by first wine supplies there and never went back. The showroom is a big abortion. The owner is a nice guy but he is really all about beer and most of his business is internet.

Yes sir. I asked him for a basket press 8 years ago. He told me to pick one out online and he would order it for me. Haha. Or I just do it myself then? If you want basic wine kits and beer steins he's your guy. If you want winemaking supplies good luck. After that I chose presque isle and never looked back.

Regretfully no....I have spent a lot lately on equipment and told my wife I would wait a while before buying anything else. You know how it is.

Latest posts

Back