yeast for blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
these are my choices...
montrachet
cotes de blanc

i think i have these right
also, the recipe called for yeast nutrient and energizer and i only have nutrient. is this going to be a huge problem?
thanks for the advice
everyone here is very inspiring:try

Cote Des Blancs!!
That's all I use
What recipe you using..

glad you asked, because i may need some adjustments. just realized the recipe said 2 lbs. blueberries and it was more like 5lbs.! i was so excited i just got right to it when home from work.
here is the recipes, keeping in mind i more than doubled the berries.

2 # blueberries
1 3/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectin enzyme
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
7 1/4 pt. water
crushed campden tablet
wine yeast

Yea I would get 5-6#'s per gal. Also get a hydrometer if you dont have one

FREEZE the berries 1st

they were already frozen. i think i mentioned in another post that a friend had them from her last trip home to PA. so that many berries is gonna be okay? good! i've put in the sugar water, crushed berries in the bag, crushed campden tab, yeast nutrient, and acid blend. it calls for the pectin in 12 hr.
and yeast 12 hr. after that. says to stir daily and press pulp in nylon bag. when sg 1.020 (about 7 days per recipe) strain juice and settle overnight then siphon to glass secondary and airlock. calls to rack, top up and airlock after 30 days and again every 60 days until clear.
another silly question, why do some recipes call for tannin and others not?
just curious

Tannin is a personal taste thing and tannin will help longevity in wine ageing. Use a little cause it goes a long way. Tannin puts a "bite" in your wine. Not an acidic bite. For reds and dark fruits you may use a bit more than apples and peaches.

this recipe didn't call for tannin and i was a little surprised since most of the recipes seem to.

You could add a small amount. When your wine is thru fermentation and you taste it, you could add more if you like.

I just added 1 teaspoon of Grape Tannin to a 5 gallon blackberry.

There are different kinds of tannin out there. Make sure you get the right one.

it's a small plastic jar
it says
winemakers
grape tannin
(tannic acid)
it came with my kit

That's it and what I have. Like I said a little goes a long way and you can not get it out if you add to much.

i'll keep everyone updated on it's progress and on what yeast i decide on. thanks for the help!

pitching the yeast tonight. the winemakers depot yeast chart had a "4" recommendation for the 1116 for fresh fruit and a "4" montrachet for dark berries...another site recommended cote de blanc for fruits in general...sounds like i can't do bad whichever i choose...i'm going with the montrachet:)

got some foaming action this morning, but no a strong yeasty smell.
i'm going to save my cote de blanc for my peaches, the last montrachet for the blackberries. that leaves the 1122 and the 1116 for the two cans i have on deck. one is a beaujolais and the other is an alexanders sun vino blanc. any difference either way here?
(1122 beaujolais, 1116 vino blanc? this was after reading the lavlin website)

Last edited:
Back