wine press question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkfe

Reaction score
New to wine making and I will be pressing by first batch of Cab in the coming week. In getting my press cleaned off I noticed the main vertical "screw" a bit wobbly, but not too much. I looked under it an noticed a large nut which appeared tight, however the whole shaft spins in its sleeve. Is this normal? I can't help thinking that their should be a seal at the bottom of the shaft to keep the juice from leaking out of it and under the press. Thanks in advance.

try to tighten that nut on the bottom, that should take care of the wobbe (?) problem. that should also keep it from leaking, if it does leak it should only be a few drops and not to worry. Good luck.

oring

I removed the large nut today and found a grove in the bottom on the lower portion of the press. It seemed to be made to fit an o-ring, so off to the local hardware store (old school type- never find in home depot). I dropped one in and retightened the nut...no more wobble! It would have leaked for sure had I not replaced it... I could tell it had been removed some time in the past as I could see the pipe wrench marks on the shaft....So it should be good now....hope this helps someone in the future.

Latest posts

Back