Why check the airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Discovered why it is a good idea to occasionally check your airlock!
smiley2.gif

20061102_122639_IMG_0715_Small.JPG

Spider on the left, another spider with gunk on the right, and fly in the bottom! Racked the blackberry wine this airlock covered and found NOTHING! The wine was fine!
smiley32.gif

The little red cap that comes with this airlock style had been knocked off (and gone unnoticed) and this was the result!

Another reason why NOT to use water. Use a sulfite solution or vodka. It will kill almost anything!

What's the name of the solution that you would use. I just have water in mine right now. and do you always use the red caps? I have them off.

Use your K-Meta solution [sanitizer solution] in the air lock.. ..The cap should have small holes in it to allow the CO2 to escape and keep out unwanted pests.

Ditto to what Bert says -- (he'll always get you where you need to go!)

I originally kept some moonshine in my airlocks, realized it was a waste (thanks to input by "experts" on this site!
smiley36.gif
) and now just put k-meta in -- I'm sure that's why these critters never got through the lock.

If you lose the 'little red cap' you can always just stuff a piece of cotton ball in the top, loosely. The red cap is supposed to keep the critters out and as Bert says, has small holes in the top to let out the CO2!

Dave

geocorn said:
Another reason why NOT to use water. Use a sulfite solution or vodka. It will kill almost anything!

What are you supposed to use in the lock...I hope I have not screwed up my wines !!!!!!!!!!
smiley18.gif

Never mind I figured it out when I cotinued reading the post sorry for the previous post...
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back