What's the purpose of a secondary fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoxbar

Junior
Reaction score
If still on my first batch of wine from a kit. I've just transfered it from the primary to the secondary. I don't know why we do this other than the instructions say to. The only difference I see is there is no longer any wood chips, and there is less surface area in the carboy than the bucket. Would somebody please explain why we transfer.

You already stated the main reason. There is less surface area in the carboy than in the bucket. While the wine is bubbling away it is giving off CO2, which protects it from oxygen. You want a little oxygen during fermentation (which is why we stir from time to time in the primary) so that the yeast stays happy, but once the fermentation stops (and coincedentally, the emission of CO2) you want as little oxygen coming into contact with your wine as possible. Oxygen can cause wines, especially whites, to turn brownish and can also cause off flavors. The secondary fermentation will eventually come to an end, and when it does you want as little surface area exposed as possible. This is why a carboy is recommended.

That being said, it is perfectly alright to do a complete fermentationin the bucket but when you reach the point that you would normally rack you will then want to make sure that the lid of the bucket is secured tightly and well sealed and an airlock is put into place. You also want to check S.G. a little less often in order to minimize air contact with your wine.

The main reason I like to use carboys for the secondary fermentation though is that it's just cool to watch the bubbles rise up the side and therefore more fun.
smiley1.gif

Edit -

I also want to add that at this racking you are introducing more oxygen into the wine. This is bad AFTER fermentation and degassing but at this point it is still fermenting so it's a good thing because it rejuvinates the yeast that is still working on finishing the fermentation by giving them the oxygen they need to do their thing. Leaving it in the bucket would make the fermentation take a bit longer.

WW pretty much summed it up..i would also add that the secondary gives you a vessel where further settling/clarifying can take place in a safe environment. Some wine makers will not go past this vessel and keep the wine on the lees..others do not like what the lees can impart and rack one or more additional times, all the while clarifying and introducing so2 as needed

Latest posts

Back