What Trellis System for Grape Brambles Combo?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
I already have some wine and table grapes and want to add some more vines to my bramble row, both semi-trailing blackberry (Triple Crown) and red raspberry (Heritage etc.). I want to grow some berry plants, but I do not want to grow a 125' row of berries.

The best trellis for brambles has two top wires about 30" apart, set up by the cross arm at the end posts. This is like the double curtain with grape trellis.

The traditional bramble trellis is the two single wires, like grape high cordon system.

Blackberry spacing is 6.5' and raspberry spacing is 3'. There will be a gap around the raspberry bushes because they spread with runners.

The berry trellis is light weight. Also the height tends to be higher since the canes can grow more than 8'. So the top wires are normally at 6'.

It saves quite some efforts and expense to install one trellis for all of them, instead of two separate trellis systems for both.

Latest posts

Back