Vineyard Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibsonguy

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings~

I am a total newbie to taking care of a vineyard......the property on which I live in Monterey County California, has a tiny, 96 plant 6 year old, Pinot Noir "garden" that has been left unattended for 2 years at least. I need help!!! The owner has asked me to use my green thumb to help him bring it back. Little rain and no watering for two years, so I gave them a good drink by hand watering yesterday. Will install a drip system next week. I need to do a lot of pruning and I'm needing guidance.......someone please. Also I want to know just how much water Pinot Noir needs this time of year.

I'll totally appreciate any and all response(s).

Wayne

What shape is the trellis in? Probably the vines are on a VSP unless they are just head pruned. How about a few pictures so we can see shat you have to begin with.

Thank you for the reply Grapeman.......I will get photos for you today.

The trellis is in O.K. shape, it is metal vertical stakes, 18 feet apart, 3 vines in between each two. 2 horizontal wires......the first about 18" off the ground and the second at about the 3'-0" level.....stretch between main end posts and attach to the vertical stakes. it seems I have everything from no plant at all to an overgrown mess of a plant that hasn't been pruned for over two years. I don't know what a VSP is, so I can't answer you on that. (Sorry, I don't know grape growing terms yet).

One more thing......the area outside of the little vineyard is a pasture for two horses, so I have at least a ton of dehydrated horse manure readily available. Is that good for Pinot Noir grapes?

Will be back with photos later in the day.

gibsonguy
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back