Ultimate Drive For The Cure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterZ

Reaction score
This past Monday and Tuesday SWMBO and I did one of our annual outings - The BMW Ultimate Drive for the Cure. Every year BMW outfits a fleet of brand new BMW's in matching paint schemes and tours them from dealership to dealership. Anyone (over 21) can come out and drive as many as they have time for (I drove 18). In Memphis the course is 8 miles (you follow a predetermined route).

For every mile driven BMW donates $1 to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. This is the 12th year, and they have raised over $12 million.

The following day the cars need to be ferried to the next dealership - in our case Little Rock. SWMBO and I act as ferry drivers, taking the cars over and then riding back on a bus with the other volunteer ferry drivers. Those miles count, too.

Check it out here.

Here we drive our pickups to the 3 mile walk for the cure. At the end of the walk we grill up some brats, eat Wisconson cheeze, and drink breer. It don't get much better than that, as you can't haul a load of pigs in a BMW.
smiley36.gif
Tomy
smiley32.gif

My husband has done the BMW drive a couple times now and is a big fan. I have always missed it because of work schuedule
smiley19.gif
. Its a great cause, and a great car to take a spin in.

This year they have an M3 (3 series supersport with a V8 engine), a 760i (the big sedan with a V12 engine) and an Alpina B7 (big sedan with a supercharged V10 engine). They also have a manual transmission Z4 roadster (first time I have seen them bring a manual out) and three of the new 1xxi subcompact coupes. Two 135i (subcompact with a three liter straight 6 cylinder with twin turbos) and a 128iC convertible.

The Alpina was the fastest in a straight line - when I floored it it slammed my head back into the headrest - but the 135i was the most fun. Incredibly responsive with great handling. I set up SWMBO to ferrry one to Little Rock and now she wants one. She told me it was totally vibration free - even over 100 mph.
smiley36.gif

Moto-girl, make it a priority. It is so much fun, you just have to go. Go to the BMW USA website and check the route map for the date for your location and put in for the day off well in advance. It's worth it.

BTW - I cannot afford these cars new. I bought my 2001 530i last year for less than the price of a Honda Accord. It had 63k miles on it, which for a BMW is barely broken in. I expect to get about another 100k miles with just routine maintenance.Edited by: PeterZ

We too are BMW affectionados. We also cannot afford a new one. I do have 2 of their motorcycles and have put over 50,000 miles on them. Someday we will add a car to the line-up. Actually, we've been waiting for the 1 series to come here from Europe for a few years. That is the car I would like to drive, as well as the Z4 manual.
smiley2.gif

Well I just checked the website and its not at the local dealer this year.
smiley19.gif
We have to drive to Chicago or Northeastern WI. Maybe Appleton will work out for me. Thanks again for the tip.

I think SWMBO will get her 128iC in about two years when they start coming off lease. I think a CPO two year old one with about 25k miles will run <$25k. That will last her for a long time. I do most of the maintenance, and really take care of them.

Back