Titret sulfite tests...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
Without a lot of experience in testing, I ordered a set of titrets for testing free sulfite in wine. I have red wine to test. The box said that the titrets were for white wines only. The company handled my email well, offering a refund. But they also said that the titrets were a reliable SO2 test for red wines as well. I could send a sample to the lab but I am already over budget for my merlot. Just finished my second racking and am not planning another for eight months. An suggestions here from you experts would be most appreciated.

Titrets...

That is: "Any suggestions here from you experts..."
I need to proof read these posts better.
Cheers.

They don't really work on reds because it goes by color. The red distorts the color and makes them less reliable.

They don't really work on reds because it goes by color. The red distorts the color and makes them less reliable.

If you have the titrets, then why not try it. I have used them with reds and feel that I can get an accurate reading. It is a matter of color change, so if you do use them for reds, GO SLOWLY!. You may want to perform the test twice just to make sure that you have consistant results.

johnT.

Back