Tartaric Crystals in wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
HIAll, I have about 10 bottles of Muscadine filtered and bottled which lately have developed Tartaric crystals at the bottom.(I did not cold stabilize)what Id like to do is pour it out into a fermenter leaving the crystals behind add more sugar to sweeten a bit add some K-Meta, sorbate and re bottle. Any one see any problem with this?

Bill

I agree with Masta, you should not have any problems doing what you wish.

The Tartaric crystals are potassium bitartrate. The formation of the crystals is a function of the pH, tartaric acid and potassium content of the wine. I don’t know if adding more potassium in the form of metabisulfite and sorbate will result in more crystals once the wine is rebottled. Also once the wine is rebottled, if the temperature drops below the temperature at bottling, the crystals can re-form. It is possible that you could go through the process and still end up with crystals.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Had you considered adding a period of cold stabilization to your process? You could pour your 10 bottles into 2 one-gallon jugs. Sweeten and add the K-Meta and sorbate. After you are sure that fermentation has not re-started, put the jugs in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Rack off any crystalswhile the wine is cold and then re-bottle. If you have room in the refrigerator for only one jug, you can process them one at a time.

Joseph, Thanks you bring up a good point. I have decided not to re bottle the Muscadine. The vines this year are full and Ill be picking in a month or so. Im looking for a refer now that will hold a carby so I can cold stabilize. this next batch. I learned a lot making Muscadine wine (do"s and don'ts) I hope I learned enough to make this years batch better.

Bill

I agree with all the above advice. Tartaric acid crystals are pretty much the norm and should be somewhat expected. Months and months of bulk aging followed by cold stabilization is the way to go, but some of us do not have the latter option. Good luck with the current vintage. My sentimental favorite.

smiley16.gif

Latest posts

Back