Spraying in Southern New England

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurkeyHollow

Turkey Hollow Winery
Reaction score
We're entering year 2 of our vineyard in northern RI. We plan to install drip irrigation before the heat of Summer hits. We are looking for advice on spraying materials, quantities and schedules. Throughout the first year, we sprayed with Carbaryl 4L for Japanese beetles. It was a very dry summer so we had no issue with visible mildew or fungus. The varieties are Baco Noir, Chardonel and either Chelois or Lemberger (to be planted this year).

I'm in Virginia but have Baco, Chelois, and Chardonel (along with others). I would suggest Mancozeb and sulfur every two weeks until you are 66 days from harvest (Mancozeb has a 66 day prior to harvest interval) then I would switch over to Captan and Immunox until you are two weeks from harvest. Immunox has a 14 prior to harvest interval. Mix in the Carbaryl for Japanese Beetles when needed and keep that in two week cycle. (Chelois might be slightly sensitve to sulfur so watch those vines).

Since this is your second year, you may not plan on fruit. If not I would just stick with the Mancozeb and sulfur throughout.

I love growing Chelois and I'm going into a third year with the vines. Chardonel has been hard for me to get to do well... I've lost a few vines. I'm hoping it will do well when established. Baco did great but last year was the first year with those vines.

I'm in Virginia but have Baco, Chelois, and Chardonel (along with others). I would suggest Mancozeb and sulfur every two weeks until you are 66 days from harvest (Mancozeb has a 66 day prior to harvest interval) then I would switch over to Captan and Immunox until you are two weeks from harvest. Immunox has a 14 prior to harvest interval. Mix in the Carbaryl for Japanese Beetles when needed and keep that in two week cycle. (Chelois might be slightly sensitve to sulfur so watch those vines).

Since this is your second year, you may not plan on fruit. If not I would just stick with the Mancozeb and sulfur throughout.

I love growing Chelois and I'm going into a third year with the vines. Chardonel has been hard for me to get to do well... I've lost a few vines. I'm hoping it will do well when established. Baco did great but last year was the first year with those vines.
When do you start spraying... after bud break or do you wait for foliage to get established?

I waited until I had some foliage which was tricky in 2020. We had bud break about 3 times due to frost and freezes. I plan to start at bud break this year.

This is a pretty simple chart. There are tons of other publications but this is about as simple as it gets.

Attachments

• Spray Schedule Trevain Hatch 2013.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Great info! With the amount of vineyards (home, farm & commercial) around me, I would think I could find that kind of information closer to my location. It's usually geared toward a warmer climate or cooler climate. Thanks again - at least I now have some new spray materials to look up and read about!

Back