Spotted Lantern Fly webinar 10/29 11am EDT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
A spreading invasive threat: Spotted Lanternfly Webinar from EABU

Spotted lanternfly are a threat to over 80 species of plants and are rapidly spreading across the country. Join us this Thursdays at 11:00 AM ET to learn what you need to know! Tom Baker of Pennsylvania State University discuss his research on how they spread. Details below!

All webinars will be recorded. Sign up to watch the live webinars or be notified when the recordings are posted. Please share this announcement with anyone you think might be interested!

CEUs will be available (CCH, ISA, SAF…)! Contact [email protected] for more details.

Registration for all talks: Emerald Ash Borer | EAB University

It’s January 2024. I live in York, PA. I have had hundreds of spotted lantern flies on my three grape vines in 2022. Was successful in controlling them and eradicating most of them. When I sprayed my vines and the ground around them the ground was covered with dead lantern flies. In 2023 some appeared but not in the numbers as last year. I understand the infestation has moved westward toward Pittsburgh. I was able to harvest 60# of grapes for making wine and another 20# for eating. Don’t know what kind of grapes they are but they are a hybrid that is supposed to taste like blueberries. Two have seeds and one is seedless. I used the seeded grapes for the wine and the seedless ones for the table. I have 11 gallons of wine presently aging in my basement. I’m a first time winemaker and hoping that it turns out well. I will rack it next week and bottle it in a month. Wish me luck

Welcome to WMT!

And good luck with your new wine too! Any particulars on the wine by chance (OG, FG, pH, yeast, nutrients or no, SO2, those kinds of things)?

Also, what did you use to control the lantern flies? Sounds like it really worked~

It’s January 2024. I live in York, PA. I have had hundreds of spotted lantern flies on my three grape vines in 2022. Was successful in controlling them and eradicating most of them. When I sprayed my vines and the ground around them the ground was covered with dead lantern flies. In 2023 some appeared but not in the numbers as last year. I understand the infestation has moved westward toward Pittsburgh. I was able to harvest 60# of grapes for making wine and another 20# for eating. Don’t know what kind of grapes they are but they are a hybrid that is supposed to taste like blueberries. Two have seeds and one is seedless. I used the seeded grapes for the wine and the seedless ones for the table. I have 11 gallons of wine presently aging in my basement. I’m a first time winemaker and hoping that it turns out well. I will rack it next week and bottle it in a month. Wish me luck
Good luck and welcome to WMT!

Welcome to WMT!

And good luck with your new wine too! Any particulars on the wine by chance (OG, FG, pH, yeast, nutrients or no, SO2, those kinds of things)?

Also, what did you use to control the lantern flies? Sounds like it really worked~
I don’t remember the name of the product I used but I bought it at Home Depot and I will buy some more. When I check on the name of it I will let you know. As for the winemaking, I don’t get into all that testing bit I’m a casual hobby winemaker. I follow the “Wine Making Made Easy” formula:
5 gallons:
20# grapes
10 # sugar
2-4 gallons water/ divided
1 packet yeast
And the usual process. I did change one thing. I made one batch with 10# and one with 8# sugar to compare.

I’m a noobie at wine making and am following a book on making homemade wine with wild grapes. My grapes aren’t wild but I don’t know what kind they are. Two of the three vines have seeds and one is seedless. They taste very good and I used the seedless ones for the table and made wine with the other two.
I’m about ready to bottle my two carboys of wine which I last racked two weeks ago. My granddaughter said it tastes good one being the slightest bit sweet and one a bit dry. I was going to combine them but she said not to because some people will like one or the other. So be it.
Question? How much air space do you leave between the cork and the wine. I don’t remember reading that anywhere. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back