S04 vs. 3309 rootstock for limestone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinoed09

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using S04 or 3309 rootstock growing on limestone? My property is on the Niagara escarpment and I have an exposed limestone ridge that I want to plant with some Riesling. It’s non traditional and not really a winter hardy choice but I really like to drink Riesling so I want to try it. From what I‘ve read S04 seems to tolerate clays and limestone better so I’m leaning in that direction. Any thoughts on that?

No, I‘m in Ontario in Grey County but checking with a couple locals is a good thought. Both Coffin Ridge and Georgian Hills are pretty close to me here.

I checked with VineTech and they‘ve said that SO4 is slightly more tolerant of limestone and clay so it’s better fit than 3309. The winemaker from the local boutique place has also suggested SO4 as well so it’s a good choice. Interestingly they only grow hybrids so I’m not sure how well the Reisling will do but there is only one way to find out.

One other question - how many vines do I need to test it out? If the average vine produces 8-15 lbs and a 2-3 gallon batch of wine needs ~36lbs would 4 plants be about right?

I read through that chart earlier and just went through it again - thank you. Some of it is beyond me at this point to pick out phylloxera or rootstocks suitable for nematodes but the general characteristics are helpful. There are a half dozen rootstock varieties suited to moist clay soils so there is plenty to test with but I'm assuming that VineTech sells mostly what works here. I think for the most part I'll order plants with SO4, maybe a couple with 3309 to see how they perform and do some soil testing in the summer. Checking out the dirt seems to be the best idea to really match it up chemistry wise.

I checked with VineTech and they‘ve said that SO4 is slightly more tolerant of limestone and clay so it’s better fit than 3309. The winemaker from the local boutique place has also suggested SO4 as well so it’s a good choice. Interestingly they only grow hybrids so I’m not sure how well the Reisling will do but there is only one way to find out.

One other question - how many vines do I need to test it out? If the average vine produces 8-15 lbs and a 2-3 gallon batch of wine needs ~36lbs would 4 plants be about right?
So4 is technically for sand it’s a sand rootstock it does tolerate limestone though.

Latest posts

Back